Hunting the badlands

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son drew an elk tag (E4) this year and we are just starting to put together our list of equipment we will need. We have never hunted in the badlands and are wondering what are the must haves for being out there?

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think that you would need to control your scent with all the openness. Use the spray and play the wind as best you can. I haven't hunted that much out there but that is the first thing that came to my mind when I read the question.

Cangrats on the tag!

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good optics, good boots and some kind of cart or big pack for retrieving your elk. Should be a fun hunt for you.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have hunted the south side of the lake (tobacco gardens area) all my life for mule deer. Scent control is big along with knowing wind direction. while the area that i hunt isn't where you are going to be hunting, it is very similar in terrain. A good pack that fits you comfortably is very important. You may have a tough time using a game cart, but it doesn't hurt to bring one along and keep it in the truck because if you can use it, they are a life saver. The most important thing that i can think of for you to bring with is GOOD BOOTS, and EXTRA SOCKS. If you don't keep your feet in good shape, the hunt will be no fun. The second most important thing in my opinion is a gps or gps progarm on your phone... I personally use "Onyx Hunt Maps" on my smartphone and I flippin love it. you can download the map sections from the wifi at your home and use it in "offline mode" so you don't burn up your data.... it has landowner names, property lines, stateland boundaries, federal land boundaries, etc..... it's $30/ year for the state of north dakota and it's updated regularly. Excellent app. Also, if you put your phone in Airplane mode (as long as your not worried about people needing to contact you) and turn on just the bluetooth function your battery life will be increased dramatically. It doesn't hurt to have a spare battery or two along for your phone also, or one of those rechargable battery packs.

You are going to be burning ALOT of calories while you are out there. Beef Jerky is great for replacing those calories (try and find jerky with as little sodium as possible so it has less of a dehydrating effect on you), so are "cliff bars" and granola bars. If you are planning on camping out there, a Jet-boil is very nice to have along with some Mountain House freeze dried meal kits... they actually taste pretty damn good too. The beef stroganoff and the chili mac are my favorites.

Good binos, and a good spotter are essential. You should spend just as much time, if not more, looking through your glass than you do walking.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85