Missoula MT Area Fishing help

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be heading to Missoula and Billings MT in a couple days and working a pretty extensive trip. Would like to attempt a little fishing while out there but know close to nothing about fly fishing plus have no gear for it. I will probably be packing a couple spinning rods and some tackle but not sure how much will be useful. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated as I have never really stream fished or chased trout but figure I would try it beings nights in hotels get old ;:;banghead and will probably be working through the weekend.
Thanks in advance

620ranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
the local fly fisherman are really going to give you hell for bringing spinning rods. Your best bet in missoula is to talk to a few fly shops and see if they will clue you in or just drive around and see where other people are at but i think out there alot of people go in drift boats

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, I know spinning gear is going to get me crap but my work truck has BLUE plates so that gives me a pass right;:;popcorn. Working with what I got and actually I found there are bass lakes close:;:rockit. Just hoping to have some fish pics and stories to share with NDA and hopefully meet and learn from some good timing fish chasers. I have been out to MT in the past and everyone I have met has been a blast and a joy to talk with.

620ranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
i brought collapsable spinning rod elk hunting and went down on the madison river south of camron mt and they were mad as hell that i had that rod but after talking for a while they were more understanding. You can also check the fwp webpage and find out bass lakes in the areas

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I worked in Helena for 9 months back in early 90's. Don't pay any attention to the fly snobs.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
2710_2510_Big_Sky_Fishing_Shops_md.jpg

blue platers and grey waders - we're surrounded!!!

but then there's her...

64f5e1bae877d8cfdffb81791264856c.jpg

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who gives a crap about what fly snobs say, I'd be hitting the streams with a light spinning rod and trout spinning lures. You can cast them in any water, swallow or deep and they just slay the fish.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll fit In here at Billings perfectly with your spinning rods! I see way more spinning rods than fly rods in this area. Unless you're on the big horn. The river in town for catfish is turning on. The bass fishing has slowed a bit as the mountains are melting and water is getting dirtier

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm down for some cat fish on a river. I just decided to throw a couple spinning rods and a mix of tackle in the work truck and see what I can find while out there.
Getting ready to hit the road in a few hours.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't know how much time you have, but cooney reservoir southwest of billings used to (when we lived there ~ 10 years ago) give up a lot of small eyes as well as some really nice ones from shore... not sure what else is in there.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even I don't know how much time I have at this point far as I can tell I will be in Missoula all of this week then around Billings for a few days. Now the question is do I get a 2 day, 10 day, or season license beings I'm going to be on the road for around 10days with a high chance I will be out there more this year yet.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you Googled Missoula trout outfitters? There are a few, most describe their services and the waters they fish.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing is fishing is fishing. Don't let the snobs get you down! And if any of them give you crap, compliment them on their nice "bobbers" (strike indicators). Trout snobs hate that

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't know how much time you have, but cooney reservoir southwest of billings used to (when we lived there ~ 10 years ago) give up a lot of small eyes as well as some really nice ones from shore... not sure what else is in there.

Yeah, we used to slay the trout through the ice when I lived there. Lots of trout and eyes in Cooney.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spending time fishing bass and catfish between Billings and Missoula is like going to a steakhouse and ordering a hotdog. Go to a local fly shop. pick their brain, rent a fly rod outfit from from then and go find some moving water. Tons of rivers out there are fishing well right now.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're coming through Bismarck I have a 9' 5wt you could use. Shoot me a PM if'n you're interested

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69