Favorite BBQ Sauce

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made a great pork butt today in the smoker. Just as I was getting it done I ran up to the grocery store to pick up some BBQ sauce only to find out they were sold out of the only kind I have really liked. I picked up a couple different flavors of famous daves. Both of them sucked so bad I ate my food without. I am a big fan sweet baby rays. I'm thinking about trying to make a homemade batch if I can't find another kind that I like.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree... no better way to ruin good bbq than with bad sauce...

for pulled pork i like just a little a1 or 57 on both buns and the meat bare...

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet baby rays is great and also a great base. We use it as a base to make a Montana huckleberry sauce that is drinkable.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vaunted Vinegar

First hit on google (susanminor.org). Great for butt and ribs. Easy to make. Dirt cheap. Let's the meat shine through.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im kinda famous daved out buuuut the sassy chipotle is pretty damn yummy.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always been a fan of sweet baby rays. I've used some others that I like but SBR is always my go to. Smoked a rack of ribs and two flavors of chicken wings yesterday. One set of wings got MossyMo's Buffalo Wing seasoning. Other set of wings got onion powder, garlic, S&P, chili powder. Tossed in some sweet baby rays then seared on the grill. Rib were also finished with sweet baby rays.

Some of the sauce's you can buy at BWW are pretty good but they are overpriced for what you get IMO.

IMG_0403.jpg

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet baby rays is my go to also...them ribs and wings are making me hungry for lunch and it's only quarter after 9

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Locally I get Sweet Baby Rays. Any time I am in KC I pick up Jack Stack original. My fav by a lot.
image.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I smoked some country style ribs yesterday, put 3 hours of smoke on them, low temp on the smoker at 180. I then let them rest under tin foil for an hour, started the grill at the lowest temp it would put out, grilled each side for 30 minutes, then turn the heat up a bit and put some homemade sauce on the top side and cooked it for a couple minutes, flipped and did the same with the bottom side.

Well they tasted excellent, however they were on the chewy side and not fall apart tender like I would like them to be.

This has happened with the last 2 attempts, is the quality of my meat off, or am I cooking it wrong? Prior times of doing this exact thing have tender me some excellent and fall apart ribs.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Locally I get Sweet Baby Rays. Any time I am in KC I pick up Jack Stack original. My fav by a lot.
IMG_0490.JPG

When we went to KC for the race we ate at Jacks Stack my kid wants to drive back down there just for the ribs. He cant wait 10 minutes in line to eat here but had no problem waiting 2 hours to get seated down there and it was worth it.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old John made a good sauce there in Millet.
"Old West that is"

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we went to KC for the race we ate at Jacks Stack my kid wants to drive back down there just for the ribs. He cant wait 10 minutes in line to eat here but had no problem waiting 2 hours to get seated down there and it was worth it.

Sounds like us. When we have our trips to KC we talk first about eating at Jack Stack. Visiting friends can wait! My favorite is the poor Russ and cheesey corn bake. Also their baked beans are unreal.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I smoked some country style ribs yesterday, put 3 hours of smoke on them, low temp on the smoker at 180. I then let them rest under tin foil for an hour, started the grill at the lowest temp it would put out, grilled each side for 30 minutes, then turn the heat up a bit and put some homemade sauce on the top side and cooked it for a couple minutes, flipped and did the same with the bottom side.

Well they tasted excellent, however they were on the chewy side and not fall apart tender like I would like them to be.

This has happened with the last 2 attempts, is the quality of my meat off, or am I cooking it wrong? Prior times of doing this exact thing have tender me some excellent and fall apart ribs.

Sounds like u didn't cook them long enough or they didn't have enough moisture in with them when u had them wrapped.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like us. When we have our trips to KC we talk first about eating at Jack Stack. Visiting friends can wait! My favorite is the poor Russ and cheesey corn bake. Also their baked beans are unreal.

Damn those baked beans are some thing else i could sit down and eat a whole pot my self

- - - Updated - - -

Cook them in the tin foil with some butter and brown sugar then take them out and hit with sause and higher temp should be fall off the bone tender.

My ribs i smoke, wrap, un wrap sauce and eat. Longer you cook in foil the more tender i like my ribs to have a slight tug to them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 163
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80