Big-ass Handguns

Which gun for killing dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pondering an obnoxious handgun, something that'll take a deer out to 100 yds. Who has experience or recommendations? Please vote in the poll also.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see no poll but I had a ruger 454 casull 9.5 inch barrel a few years back and took a few deer with it. Had it sighted in @ 100 yds, was too much for me not having a muzzle break, I shot more 45 lc through it than 454 rounds so I sold and picked up a used S&W 460XVR with 8 3/8 inch barrel but have not taken the time to use it much or sight it in yet. Beauty is I can shoot my 45 lc 454 casull and 460 rounds through it.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see no poll but I had a ruger 454 casull 9.5 inch barrel a few years back and took a few deer with it. Had it sighted in @ 100 yds, was too much for me not having a muzzle break, I shot more 45 lc through it than 454 rounds so I sold and picked up a used S&W 460XVR with 8 3/8 inch barrel but have not taken the time to use it much or sight it in yet. Beauty is I can shoot my 45 lc 454 casull and 460 rounds through it.

That is why I vote 460 S&W. But don't forget about Thompson Center Contender pistols lots of big ass cartridge choices.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hog leg S/A .44 Rem would be my handgun huckleberry. I still want a .500 levergun in the worst way. And one with a zippy twist to handle the 750's I'd never buy.

- - - Updated - - -

I've posted this before without comment. I'd like to believe it was only read by tools with scant interest:

In '05 I read an article in SOF about a phenomena called "trumpeting". It's caused by numerous firings of a shorter cased round in a long chamber ie; .38/.357 etc. The chamber eventually erodes in front of the shorter case to the point of facilitating extreme mouth expansion on a full size case. This makes ejection a bitch and may further result in incontinence.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hog leg S/A .44 Rem would be my handgun huckleberry. I still want a .500 levergun in the worst way. And one with a zippy twist to handle the 750's I'd never buy.

- - - Updated - - -

I've posted this before without comment. I'd like to believe it was only read by tools with scant interest:

In '05 I read an article in SOF about a phenomena called "trumpeting". It's caused by numerous firings of a shorter cased round in a long chamber ie; .38/.357 etc. The chamber eventually erodes in front of the shorter case to the point of facilitating extreme mouth expansion on a full size case. This makes ejection a bitch and may further result in incontinence.

1. 44Mag Blackhawks suck to shoot. The trigger guard bangs your middle-finger like a Jr. High shop teacher with a ruler and a hangover.

2. Trumpeting makes sense though I bet it takes a bajillion rounds. Slow projectiles and small powder charges are kind to metal. Think about how many rounds it'd take to torch a 22 Hornet tube, then multiply by 5, 6, 7, or 8 based upon how many holes ya got.

BedWetter, no positive shooting habits can be gained by the above. A nickel plated 29 and factory Rem 240's @ 10ish still contributes to my considerable pistol "yips". The 50 DE is tolerable due to weight and gas operation.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

This intrigues me.

- - - Updated - - -

BedWetter, no positive shooting habits can be gained by the above. A nickel plated 29 and factory Rem 240's @ 10ish still contributes to my considerable pistol "yips". The 50 DE is tolerable due to weight and gas operation.

This is the only reason 50 AE is on the list. I've read that it's relatively painless to shoot and the box mag obviously makes reloading a snap. However, this would likely have me running it like a Glock and chasing brass, not to mention the fact that .500 and .460 are in a ballisticaly different league. I'd burn through $100 ammo in a damn hurry. I think a Desert Eagle is at the bottom of a short list.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD said: Lots of things.

I've only known this pain with a dbl trigger gun without articulation. Can't see myself ever affording this option and am fine with a tight leather glove:). I've shot the Blackhawk several times like a freakn' offhand lazer. Never owned one or shot from a bench.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 15 years ago there was an article in Shooting Times called "The 10.91mm Mag". The guy was useing the Hornady 300 gr XTP with the double canular. He then loaded the same amount of H110 as one would normally load under a 240 gr. When he loaded the 300 gr to the last canular he increased case capacity and kept the pressure to within limits. This comes out of my 8 3/8 inch Smith at 1425 fps. Stings like a suckered in the four inch I pack to the mountains. 20160418_215155.jpg

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That might cause another Roswell. Don't eff around.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was a bolt action no idea what make or model but it was a 308 . This was at a match in Canada, They shoot creedmore position something like this .

Ed.jpg

It felt awkward but you can get a good hold . I brought home the wood.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
That might cause another Roswell. Don't eff around.
I definitely don't practice with it. If something wants to taste me it's going to make them regret it. I have only shot one deer with that load. A small 3X3. Don't remember the distance, but do remember it was beyond 100 yards. In the right ham and out the left front shoulder. He didn't make more than ten paces.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was a bolt action no idea what make or model but it was a 308 . This was at a match in Canada, They shoot creedmore position something like this .

Ed.jpg

It felt awkward but you can get a good hold . I brought home the wood.

if you thought the guys that visit the Casselton range were retards, wait'l you visit Canada where their gun rights are restricted. This is what happens. You've been warned.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you thought the guys that visit the Casselton range were retards, wait'l you visit Canada where their gun rights are restricted. This is what happens. You've been warned.

I must of missed out on the Casselton story , Unless ------ I might have shot there once??

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62