Gardenhire is a Twin again!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]Gardenhire returns to Twins as special assistant[/h] Ron Gardenhire was the 2010 American League manager of the year. Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

MINNEAPOLIS – The Minnesota Twins family is whole again.

Ron Gardenhire, dismissed in September 2014 after 13 mostly successful seasons as big-league manager, has returned to the organization as a special assistant to general manager Terry Ryan, the team announced Monday.

“I miss the ballpark,” Gardenhire said in a conference call with Twin Cities media. “I just miss being in a uniform and hanging out with the people. This is giving me the opportunity to get back in there and do those things.”
Gardenhire, 58, will serve as a special roving instructor and evaluator, traveling to all Twins minor-league affiliates. Much of that over the next few months will be in the Fort Myers, Fla., area where he has a home.
He also will serve as a mentor to the Twins’ minor-league managers and coaches.
That was the role Ryan hoped Gardenhire would fill in 2015, the final season of his contract, but both sides eventually agreed it was best for the longtime baseball man to recharge his battery while out of the game.
Ryan maintained contact this winter and spring, eventually convincing Gardenhire to return to the only organization he has worked for the past nearly three decades.
“Terry really wanted me to come back here,” Gardenhire said. “In spring training, Terry called me a couple of times and told me I really needed to do this, they wanted me back and it was a good fit and that I could help out.”
Then the classic Gardy wit surfaced as he brought his wife into the conversation.
“Really it was Carol more than anything else that said, ‘You need to go to work,’ ” Gardenhire said. “And there you have it.”
Paul Molitor replaced Gardenhire as Twins manager after four straight seasons of 92 or more losses. Sensitive to Molitor’s need to establish his own program, Gardenhire has stayed away from Target Field.
He and Molitor have talked and texted in recent weeks as this new role was hammered out, and Gardenhire said the two remain friends.
The Twins have discussed having Gardenhire return to Target Field in early June around the time of the amateur draft. Gardenhire won’t have input into the draft, but that’s when the bulk of Twins scouts and baseball operations people are in the same place.
Gardenhire also plans to attend the Twins Hall of Fame inductions of Torii Hunter and former broadcaster John Gordon in late July.
Skipper to six division champions in a nine-year span (2002-10), Gardenhire had a career record of 1,068-1,039 with the Twins, a winning percentage of .507. He previously served as a coach under former Twins manager Tom Kelly, who also remains in the organization as a special assistant to the GM.
Gardenhire played his final season with the Triple-A Portland club in the Twins organization in 1987 before starting his managerial career in their system.
This offseason, Gardenhire interviewed for big-league dugout openings with the San Diego Padres and the Washington Nationals and nearly landed the Padres job that eventually went to former Arizona Diamondbacks coach Andy Green, a first-time manager.
Dusty Baker beat out Gardenhire with the Nationals.
There were reports that Gardenhire might be open to serving as Green’s bench coach or taking a role in the Padres front office, but that never materialized.
“I think we were really close,” Gardenhire said. “It just came down to the communication thing and kind of figuring out what it was going to be like. It was just unsure really what the job was when it came down to a special assistant-type thing. I just didn’t really know where it was leading to. I never really pinned them down.”
Gardenhire also was mentioned as a potential candidate to manage Team USA in the 2017 World Baseball Classic, but that distinction went last week to former Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland, Gardenhire’s close friend. Gardenhire said he wasn’t in the mix for Team USA but Germany did call about having him manage its WBC entry.
Gardenhire’s hiring gives the Twins three special assistants to the GM. Former Cincinnati Reds GM Wayne Krivsky holds the other spot.
In addition, five former Twins greats serve as special assistants: hall of famers Rod Carew and Bert Blyleven, along with Tony Oliva, Jack Morris and Kent Hrbek.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
And this is why Minnesota teams don't win anything. "Yeah we let him go because It was time for the team to head in a new direction but then we decided to hire him back". Hmm.........

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
And this is why Minnesota teams don't win anything. "Yeah we let him go because It was time for the team to head in a new direction but then we decided to hire him back". Hmm.........

Land of 10,000 losers.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member

Since 2002 They have won 6 division championships, which is more than any other team in the central division. Bringing back the guy that led to all of them as a special assistant to the general manager I think would be a pretty good idea.

They also have 2 world series championships. Over all they rank 5th among active MLB franchises in playoff appearances and I think 4th in pennants won. Id have to say they have won a bit. They arent by any means the Yankees but Id say they have a pretty good showing.

- - - Updated - - -

Had to do something to try to sell tickets at home

I think this was talked about on the air the other night. They ranked 9th in 2015 among MLB teams in home attendance. Not too bad out of 30 teams. If you win people come out. Look at KC now compared to 5-10 years ago.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I'm forever the homer optimist but, the last 4 games have been what I expected out of the offense finally. This team can and should be able to put up a lot of runs. Plouffe to the DL today though.

As far as Gardy goes, I always liked him. Had fire, fought for his guys. What I find strange is why he would want to come back to the club that fired him?

Ticket sales? Its week two and its been cold.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since 2002 They have won 6 division championships, which is more than any other team in the central division. Bringing back the guy that led to all of them as a special assistant to the general manager I think would be a pretty good idea.

They also have 2 world series championships. Over all they rank 5th among active MLB franchises in playoff appearances and I think 4th in pennants won. Id have to say they have won a bit. They arent by any means the Yankees but Id say they have a pretty good showing.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this was talked about on the air the other night. They ranked 9th in 2015 among MLB teams in home attendance. Not too bad out of 30 teams. If you win people come out. Look at KC now compared to 5-10 years ago.
Exactly. I haven't seen 2016 numbers but I bet they're tailing off. Hiring Gardy is a great idea. For many reasons.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gardy is awesome, but I'm also perplexed as to how they continue to fire guys and bring them back, like Bill Smith. What're they going to do when Terry Ryan dies? Gotta be kind of awkward for Paul Molitor. Now you've gotta work with the guy you replaced. With that said, Gardy is a classy guy and I expect he'll act accordingly. What a weird baseball family.

I still think MN is full of losers...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The twinkee's suck again,having gardi back won't help,they lack talent all around,infield,outfield,pitching...Then they have the most expensive 1st baseman in the league who is medeoaker at best and past his prime,dump mauer for starters.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mauer is showing signs of his old, young self. 10 game hitting streak, Batting average around .375. Heard he is 33yrs old today!! Holy smokes where did that time go??? I know I haven't gotten older.:cool: I read somewhere. Or may heard it somewhere...at any rate..I heard that the '91 Twins started as awful this thus current group did. They ended up pretty darn well that year.:;:cheers
Have faith you bandwagon jumpers. Carry on.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
3r,you have me pegged,the 1st sign of a play off team I'll be in the lead wagon...:cool:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if we boo them now it'll reverse jinx the team, send them on a winning streak.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not satisfied with division championships. After 25 years, I'm ready for another World Series. You should be too.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
they lack talent all around,infield,outfield,pitching....

No.

"Then they have the most expensive 1st baseman in the league who is medeoaker at best and past his prime"

Yes.

"dump mauer for starters."

Maybe.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
The twinkee's suck again,having gardi back won't help,they lack talent all around,infield,outfield,pitching...Then they have the most expensive 1st baseman in the league who is medeoaker at best and past his prime,dump mauer for starters.

Granted Mauers contract was guaranteed and I criticize Joe as much as the next guy, but talk about the ultimate team guy. He gave up who knows how many future all star appearances and probably a bid into the HOF by moving to a position that is stocked with HR hitters and RBI guys. Took a pretty darn good guy to swallow his pride and change.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I see the delusional Minneapolis fans are not limited to the Vikings! Who's cares about playoffs if you don't do jack when you get there! This is sports and there's no second place you either win it all or get tossed back in the losser pile.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77