fillet knife

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats the name of the fillet knife that has the backside of the blade sharpened at the tip to rip down the back against the scales? I know some of you have one but couldn't find the thread it was posted in. a pic and a place to buy one would be appreciated. Thanks

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cannot lie. I am generally handy around knives, love me some high $$$ cutlery, but have been a FAIL at the Leech filet approach. I whip out the 10 year old American Angler with shark blades every time. :(

- - - Updated - - -

And I own one of course.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can buy a lifetime worth of American Angler electric knives for that price. I think I'll pass. Just seems so much easier with an electric.

TheWalleye

Honored Member
I have an American Angler electric and the Rapala wood handled one for non-electric work. Looks like a nice knife, but damn... thats a lot of money for a fillet knife. I also have a Dexter one that came with a knife set I have, so as much as I want to try one, i'm good with what i have. :)

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think its worth the hassle to take one of my old cheapy fillet knifes and sharpen the backside to see if I like the concept before investing?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see a bunch of guys cutting through rib bones. "Filet"around the bones = knife stay sharp long time. To buko

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I realize an expensive knife doesn't get used and abused like a cheap knife but are those things "harder" to sharpen ?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can buy a lifetime worth of American Angler electric knives for that price. I think I'll pass. Just seems so much easier with an electric.

What parallel dimension are you buying american anglers in? I paid 90 bucks for the last one I bought...at walmart.

By the way, that american angler has regularly been abused by cutting through 40+inch pike for the last 3 years and still doesnt get hot or start to smell like overcooked electricity. 60 perch doesnt phase it either.

Last edited:

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey- the better quality high carbon s steel that stays sharp longer actually sharpens easier then the cheaper s steel

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76