Invisible/Underground Fence Reviews?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fair sized city yard on the edge of town and would like to install an underground or invisible fence for my new pal that will be coming home soon. I know the underground ones are kind of a pain to install, but you know where the border is going to be. I have no clue on how the invisible ones work or if they work well or not? Looking for input on these setups as far as pros/cons and brands.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'd have to look, but I have the brand that TSC sells. It is pure magic. My dog would chase cars, rummage the garbage, go to neighbors, and now stays in the fence. He is scared to death of the shock.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd have to look, but I have the brand that TSC sells. It is pure magic. My dog would chase cars, rummage the garbage, go to neighbors, and now stays in the fence. He is scared to death of the shock.

Do you have the in-ground or wireless?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the in ground one worked great even for my gsp. U can rent a little trencher/wire layer that can make quick work of putting it in.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A farm friend has the above ground style for his 3 yellow labs, it works fine for him

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've always used the petsafe wireless ones. In the 6+ years we've had them, no real issues. It's easy to train the dog to them and no digging.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have had a petsafe wireless for six or seven years now and love it. I run three units one on one end of the house, the other on the opposite end in the garage and one in the middle/front of the house. They can run up to 60' out from the house in all directions. If I go to the cabin I take one with and run it there and it keeps them at the cabin. If you wish to have a certain "shape" of a zone you can buy gps units that you basically map your zone with. Spendy though.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good topic as I was planning on installing a fence this fall to keep our dog at bay in town. Maybe this is a better/cheaper option? We don't have a large yard.

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also used the pet safe wireless and loved it. I don't use it any more and would consider selling it.

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the wireless fence and love it. We take it the lake, inlaws, or to friends to keep the dog around the house. Don't have to mess with tie-ups. It also trained her that a vehicle/garage is home base and she won't bolt if she gets out of a truck or off an ATV. She will wait for me to leash her up or let her know it ok to proceed. Even through she doesn't have the collar on.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have had a petsafe wireless for six or seven years now and love it. I run three units one on one end of the house, the other on the opposite end in the garage and one in the middle/front of the house. They can run up to 60' out from the house in all directions. If I go to the cabin I take one with and run it there and it keeps them at the cabin. If you wish to have a certain "shape" of a zone you can buy gps units that you basically map your zone with. Spendy though.

I have the Garmin Alpha which is GPS based. However, it does NOT shock the dog when he leaves the defined perimeter. All it does is give you an audible warning on the handheld to let you know the pup is out of the area. It is then up to you to fry the dog.

It works pretty well, but once in a while the collar gets confused and is off by anywhere from 50 ft to 100 yds (based on the handheld remote which is also a GPS). In those cases the owner thinks the dog is long gone when in reality the poor bastard is sitting right outside the door.

If you have lots of trees and other obstacles, I'd go with the in-ground version. The GPS systems (like mine) and the defined radio wave distance collars are all known to be a little unreliable in heavy cover/terrain. All depends on how close you can monitor him. My dog has now been on the GPS system for a year and until the neighbor lab-mutt shows up, he stays off the highway. It's getting to the point he's afraid of her. Mostly because she's the reason for about 98% of the times he's been zapped over the past year.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have petsafe inground. Works great. It's easy to install for the most part. You don't have to bury the wire, just use the yard staples to keep the wire tight on the ground. After about a month the grass will bury the wire and you can mow over it. I have hit the wire on a few occasions before the grass burried them. They are easy to fix.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
It works pretty well, but once in a while the collar gets confused and is off by anywhere from 50 ft to 100 yds (based on the handheld remote which is also a GPS). In those cases the owner thinks the dog is long gone when in reality the poor bastard is sitting right outside the door.

I shouldn't be laughing but the picture you painted there has me rolling. Poor pup sitting outside the door minding his own business!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Garmin Alpha which is GPS based. However, it does NOT shock the dog when he leaves the defined perimeter. All it does is give you an audible warning on the handheld to let you know the pup is out of the area. It is then up to you to fry the dog.

If you have lots of trees and other obstacles, I'd go with the in-ground version. The GPS systems (like mine) and the defined radio wave distance collars are all known to be a little unreliable in heavy cover/terrain. All depends on how close you can monitor him. My dog has now been on the GPS system for a year and until the neighbor lab-mutt shows up, he stays off the highway. It's getting to the point he's afraid of her. Mostly because she's the reason for about 98% of the times he's been zapped over the past year.
I did not know that. Not gonna work under most circumstances then. Glad you mentioned that.

Scooby-Doo Do

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fox Island -

This guy will install the fence and help you train the dog.

westdakotadogwatch.com/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73