What broadheads will you be using this season?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of great choices out there, what are you screwing on the end of your shafts this year?
What kind of results have you had in the past?

For me I'll be using NAP Spitfire Maxx.
I bought some last year for my Alberta bear hunt. I was really impressed with them so I tried them on deer last fall. I know these heads have been around for a very long time, can't believe I hadn't tried them sooner! I've been a 2 blade 2" mechanical shooter for almost 25 years with great results. But for deer size game I think this big 3 blade will keep putting big holes in critters!

IMG_6026 (2).jpg

Exit hole
IMG_6013.jpg

If I draw an elk tag I will shoot either a VPA or Montex CS, although I've had good luck with an Ulmer Edge and will probably have one in my quiver for longer shots.
I've always liked big cutting mechanicals for deer size game and bears thou, just seems to tip them over allot quicker. And help allot on marginal shots.
100 gr Gator 2 blade vs a 100 gr 3 blade Montec
Gator vs montec.jpg

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm using Slick Trick heads, Deep 6 version. I haven't killed anything with them yet. I'm kind of torn because I love the 4 blade Magnus Stingers I've used for years and have complete confidence in them. But since I wanted to try the D6 FMJ Injexion out, I'm stuck with these for now. Have tested D6 Exodus and D6 Muzzy Trocars as well, but Slicks flew the best for me.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'm gonna stick with the same old un-cool Muzzys that have kilt 100 deer for me.;:;popcorn

Founding Member
Founding Member
All good heads you mention, those deep 6 setups sure do penetrate that's for sure! Always wanted to try those QAD heads.
Muzzys, about the best bang for the buck out there and have been for ever it seems! My boys all shot them even at very young ages "8" and would get pass throughs. You can't argue with that performance!
Just seemed past 40 yds for me they kind of had a mind of their own.

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
5575. i can say i've only killed 1 deer at 40 yards so flight is not even on my list. the vast majority of my shots are well under 20 yards but i don't hunt the open plains.
if i did, i would perhaps have to experiment a bit more for a head that flys well. not that Muzzy's don't but i really don't know as i don't shoot that far.
i DO KNOW, that i've yet to have one "fail":;:cheers

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, Montec makes a fine head. You should try their carbon steel version, scary sharp.
If you ever want to try a montec on steroids you should try a VPA head. The difference between the VPA and montec is the VPA is machined steel and the montec is cast. The difference between the VPA and the Hellrazor or Snuffer SS is those two are welded together, and, again, the VPA is machined from one piece of steel. Truly solid.

VPA.JPG

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds good 5575!! Thanks for the info. I really have no idea what these things can do. I've never shot a deer with them yet. I bought a new bow (Hoyt Carbon Matrix) and have been trying to relearn how to shoot a bow. My last bow was a PSE Pulsar. Those were made about 20+ years ago, 2216 game getter arrows, a mish mosh of broadheads, and I used finger tabs with one sight pin. Now I have a release, carbon arrows, drop away rest, and 5 sight pins that has a level on it. WTF????????? I've had to start over from square one. Hopefully, I can put all these new toys to good use this fall. I can tell you one thing though. This new bow is WICKED fast compared to my other bow. When I shot my other bow, if the deer was at 20 yards when I shot, he would have enough time to grab another mouthful of food, step out of the way of the arrow, and then resume feeding. Not really, but it was almost that slow. LOL!!!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha from a pulsar to a matrix, now thats an upgrade!!
You can't go wrong with the newer hoyts thats for sure, I'd love to
have a new carbon spyder zt turbo! But I'll have to wait for a used one
in a couple years and just keep shooting my spyder 30. Sounds like
you'll really enjoy that new setup!

Last edited:

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm leaning towards the Ulmer Edge. Not sure how I feel about going away from a fixed blade. I might buy some and see how I like them. I've typically shot the good ol' thungerheads. My last bow (Switchback XT) wouldn't shoot anything else without planing real bad. Now, hopefully, I can have more options with my Z7. I'll start with Ulmer's for now and see how it goes.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the plain old Magnus Stinger 2 blade for elk, and shooting through ground blind windows.
This one clipped the front shoulder a bit, but still penetrated both lungs and out the other side. He went maybe 50 yards.

101_2859.jpg 101_2856.jpg

For open range mule deer hunts where I've taken deer at 50-70 yards, I like the Rage 2 blade. Those things fly nice, and kill big time.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to let you know, Trophy taker has stopped making the Ulmer Edge unfortunatly. Due to patent issues.
So I'd buy them while you can. The red head gator is another nasty 2 blade rear deploying head as well.
And like I said you might want to check out those spitfire maxx, the things have been around a long time because they work.
Nice shot on your bull Supress! You can't beat that magnus lifetime warranty, heck all I've had to due is email them a pic of a wrecked head and they've sent me a new one!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info on Ulmer's. Man, it seems like as soon as I make up my mind on what I want things change!

Does anyone on here shoot a Z7? What broad heads do you shoot? Maybe that will be a good starting point for me...:confused:

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I plan on hunting in the badlands a ton. So I'm not sure what the range is going to be for sure. I'm sure it will go from 20 yards to probably 60-70? My last bow I was dialed in at 100 yards. Wouldn't mind being versatile with distance.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep then I'd pick up some Ulmers, Scheels still had them the last time I checked. Just make sure your not buy or are buying the deep 6.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm finding a lot of the Ulmer's Edge on ebay too. I think I'll stock up! thanks 5575!

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I plan to use the QAD Exodus broadheads again this year. Seem to fly pretty damn good and really like how compact they are, especially with the Gold Tip Kinetic inserts that hang out of the shaft a decent amount.

allsitka

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had really good luck with G5 T3's. I been really fortunate to take four deer spot and stock style with the T3's. I know some guys have tried them and hated them, guess I've been lucky.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77