Barnesville Angler Catches S.D. State Record Smallmouth Bass

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Held caught a 7-pound, 3-ounce smallie on Horseshoe Lake in northeast South Dakota near Webster, breaking the previous state record by three ounces.

lyal-smallie-two.jpg

After getting the fish in the boat and realizing it was likely the state record, Held called a SDGFP biologist in Webster. They talked over the legality of transporting the fish to be weighed, certified and released.
They decided the best course of action was to drive to Webster, buy a large Rubbermaid container, fill it with water and put the fish in it. Held and Ehlert drove from the lake to Sportsmen’s Cove in Webster, weighed and certified the fish, then drove back to Horseshoe Lake for the release.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That lake used to be a slew at best. Grandpa shot lots of ducks there. I only got a few years with him but I remember those times out there clearly.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great fish.
Sounds like allot of transportation for a fish to live after release though. At least they gave it an honest try and with cooler water/weather she may have made it. A true 7 is a giant SM anywhere.
In ND. I don't think its legal to catch, contain in live well/transport and bring back to lake to release unless there's a stipulation for weighing a potential state record. Anyone know if this can be done?

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope they got a better pic than that.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a beast! Congrats to the lucky angler! Nice job releasing the fish. As far as the hair goes, keep rock en the locks brah, doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

- - - Updated - - -

Great fish.
Sounds like allot of transportation for a fish to live after release though. At least they gave it an honest try and with cooler water/weather she may have made it. A true 7 is a giant SM anywhere.
In ND. I don't think its legal to catch, contain in live well/transport and bring back to lake to release unless there's a stipulation for weighing a potential state record. Anyone know if this can be done?
Probably would be illegal. ND doesn't even let you cull bass in tournaments which is about the stupidest outdated law there is. Reason being they don't want to hurt the walleye guys feelers. Lame.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
[

- - - Updated - - -

Probably would be illegal. ND doesn't even let you cull bass in tournaments which is about the stupidest outdated law there is. Reason being they don't want to hurt the walleye guys feelers. Lame.[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

As far as live releasing a state record, according to state law, you can't. However, it also says that you can't transport fish in a livewell. I think for both instances, if you were to call G&F and get approval first, I would say its a decent chance that they would make an exception.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha, me too, I just didn't want to be the first one. LOL

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey capt,"me too" I had to go back when someone called him a dude...lol,thought it was an ugly chick that likes to fish,then I seen the "sack hair" on his chin.haha,but yeah what a monster smallie busting at the seems with spawn.Good to see the effort put forth to release the big girl.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75