ND Musky

SB43

Hey guys, I moved out here a couple years ago from Wisconsin and am an avid Musky fisherman but I obviously don't get back to MN or WI for them as much as I would like to. Finally got my first boat last fall and was hoping to try my hand at some of the fish ND has to offer. Just wondering about the McKlusky Canal and the lakes on it. Are they all supposed to have Musky or is just New John's my best bet at trying to get one in the bag? Thanks

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mcklusky Canal system has Musky through out its system. If you like big slimmers and wish to catch a fish every 20 casts instead of 1000. I would recommend you target pike. We have much bigger pike in ND than MN and WI. As you may have seen in a recent pic/article a 51 1/2 inch pike was caught a couple weeks ago.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably don't need to mention Minnesota or Wisconsin when you post.

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have yet to catch one but it is on my list. I have fished from East Park Lake to New johns. Caught a 18 lb pike on a top raider last summer, was fun but a let down once I saw it. I have seen some that have been caught up there. They can be anywhere in the canal systems. Maybe we will run into each other this year up there. I have hooked into big fish pulling spinners/lindys up there but get broke off. Was there last weekend water temp was 50-53 in the bays off the canal.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say get in contact with MuskyManiac he seems to know his musky stuff.

2. If you catch them do you pickle them?

SB43

I would say get in contact with MuskyManiac he seems to know his musky stuff.

2. If you catch them do you pickle them?

I am new to this forum and it seems like you have quite a bit of experience on it so sorry if I am over stepping my bounds but why do you look for a fight? Your first point was valid and I thank you for that. Your second is just looking for a fight or at least to ruffle feathers. If you have nothing valid to add don't post. I don't keep egg swollen walleyes, I don't go on the walleye forum and joke about making caviar. Thanks for your input but no thanks. I won't get all pouty and I get the joke. Just wonder if you really have nothing better to do than try and pick a fight?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am new to this forum

d78b9262e5a6074923b9048cb126266d.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

(musky pickling is a long running joke here which you couldn't know)

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
This might get good. Ruffling feathers is one of the members favorite thing to do. Don't take it personally every new guy gets asked the same questions.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am new to this forum and it seems like you have quite a bit of experience on it so sorry if I am over stepping my bounds but why do you look for a fight? Your first point was valid and I thank you for that. Your second is just looking for a fight or at least to ruffle feathers. If you have nothing valid to add don't post. I don't keep egg swollen walleyes, I don't go on the walleye forum and joke about making caviar. Thanks for your input but no thanks. I won't get all pouty and I get the joke. Just wonder if you really have nothing better to do than try and pick a fight?

Well then does pooping by ice shacks piss you off to?

Relax it was a joke if i wanted to fight i would have said some thing about where you came from..... Carry on and enjoy your time here

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye caviar and pickled Mushky holly he'll I have an idea for a new restaurant! I'll call it Sconis!!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, you'll just have to let the pickling jokes slide because they will never stop. I've tried and it just adds fuel to the fire. Just relish in the fact that if you fish for muskies you are a superior fisherman to anyone else. :cool:

Regarding muskies in ND they are only out West at this point. There are going to start stocking a lake in the East this year, but it will take 10 years before the fishing is any good.

Even though I am a ND native, I've never fished muskies in ND. I always go to Minnesota. Don't know where you are at in ND, but if you are close to the MN boarder some lakes around Bemidji as well as Detroit Lakes area are some of the top lakes in the whole state.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75