Cats on the Mo

TheWalleye

Honored Member
So while reading this Red River post, got me kinda interested in cat fishing again. :) We use to do it in Williston all the time on the Little Muddy but I've never caught one in Bismarck - not that I was even targeting them. Any locations better then others? Or would I be better off hitting the creeks around the area as they warm up faster?

#$%^&>

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had an outstanding day watching a couple kids catch one 4-8 lb catfish after the other once I put them in the honey hole by the tailrace. Set'em up with 1/2 oz sinkers, swivels, and about a 12 inch leader with a circle hook. They used crawlers to start with and then I cut up a sucker they caught so they could use that. Just sat back with a cooler of cold ones and watched these boys have a blast. If I was looking for catfish on the MO, I would go to the tailrace. That cold water keeps them kitties nummy all year. Good Luck!!

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The tailrace can be great for cats. Some of my coworkers have been catching them from shore near the McLean bottoms (rifle range) area.

TheWalleye

Honored Member
Awesome, I may have to just go piss around and find some. :) I'm sure if i started using worms and plain hooks i'd imagine you could catch them just about anywhere.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
smelt and a quick strike rig will catch alot of them from shore

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the biggest walleye on of my life north of the dessert, that turned into a 12lb cat :;:rockit

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go south of Bismarck in some of the back water at night. We used to catch quite a few big ones back in the day. I remember one night the stringer was so freakin heavy that we had to take turns carrying it back to the truck. I don't think there was one less than 5 pounds. Sucked cleaning them when we got home at 1 am.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a bay on oahe, and use worms or smelt.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
There all over the river. Seems July Aug when the Walleyes slow down the cats really pic up in town.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75