Open carry in ND

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a revolver, it's considered loaded if there is a round in any of the chambers. Until that most recent legislative session, a pistol with a loaded magazine was considered loaded even if a round wasn't chambered. Thanks to my local legislator and a few others, that has now been changed.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
as far as i am concerned it is an ugly club at that point... ccw you can carry one in the chamber... lot of rules, no public buildings is the biggest one people break (credit unions, cenex and schools are all public owned buildings)

★★★★★ Legendary Member
as far as i am concerned it is an ugly club at that point... ccw you can carry one in the chamber... lot of rules, no public buildings is the biggest one people break (credit unions, cenex and schools are all public owned buildings)

Thanks for the info. I'll pay close attention when I visit.

In AZ you can open carry a loaded gun and ccw with or without a permit.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Cenex and credit unions? BCI explained it only as "government buildings." Credit unions, mutual insurance companies, utility companies, and healthcare cooperatives are examples of member-owned institutions but I don't know if that constitutes "publicly owned or operated." Can't say I've carried in any such place but would be good to know.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand the state law that one can not open carry in ND unless you are on your personal property, actively hunting and or on others property with permission.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cenex and credit unions? BCI explained it only as "government buildings." Credit unions, mutual insurance companies, utility companies, and healthcare cooperatives are examples of member-owned institutions but I don't know if that constitutes "publicly owned or operated." Can't say I've carried in any such place but would be good to know.

I had it explained to me by a police officer that anything that was a member owned company is considered a public owned building and specifically stated the credit unions, cenex, schools and librarys

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i disagree that just cause it ain't hot its just a club. it certainly isn't the same as loaded. but, it literally takes me 1.3 seconds to rack one. i will take an unloaded firearm on my hip any day of the week over a club or knife or my worthless fisteses.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
whats the law on open carry on our reservations then? or does state law supercede tribal law?

- - - Updated - - -

im sure each governing body would tell you something different

Kenneth

Established Member
Open Carry folks=attention seekers imo. Unless you're hunting or in very rural parts of the nation its just going to attract attention. I know the libtards around here freak when they see someone do it and the cops get called even though it is perfectly legal where I live.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had it explained to me by a police officer that anything that was a member owned company is considered a public owned building and specifically stated the credit unions, cenex, schools and librarys

you were told wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

2400 if you want to open carry a loaded handgun in North Dakota you need a permit.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sadly, I bet you could ask 3 different LEO's the same question and get 3 different answers.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
2400 if you want to open carry a loaded handgun in North Dakota you need a permit.

I have an AZ ccw permit. I checked our state info and it's says we have reciprocity with you guys. So it looks like I can ccw there. But not open carry? Can you open carry hunting with a loaded handgun?

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an AZ ccw permit. I checked our state info and it's says we have reciprocity with you guys. So it looks like I can ccw there. But not open carry? Can you open carry hunting with a loaded handgun?

No you should be able to open carry here then. When hunting is brought in to the mix im honestly not sure

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.ag.nd.gov/bci/cw/GeneralInfo/CWManual.pdf

The "meat and potatoes" of it starts on page 27.

I was pretty close, pasted below here is the section referring to open carry, one needs to refer to the terms "secured" and "unloaded" definitions and descriptions if one is not a CCW permit holder.

[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]CHAPTER 62.1-03 - HANDGUNS
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]62.1-03-01. Carrying handgun - Restrictions - Exceptions.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT]1. A handgun may not be carried unless by an individual not otherwise prohibited and if: a. Between the hours of one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset, the handgun is unloaded and either in plain view or is secured.
b. Between the hours of one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise, the handgun is unloaded and secured.
2. The restrictions provided in subdivisions a and b of subsection 1 do not apply to: a. An individual possessing a valid concealed weapons license from this state or who has reciprocity under section 62.1-04-03.1 .
b. An individual on that person's land, or in that individual’s permanent or temporary residence, or fixed place of business.
c. An individual while lawfully engaged in target shooting.
d. An individual while in the field engaging in the lawful pursuit of hunting or trapping. However, nothing in this exception authorizes the carrying of a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.
e. An individual permitted by law to possess a firearm while carrying the handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to that person's home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back from those locations.
f. Any North Dakota law enforcement officer.
g. Any law enforcement officer of any other state or political subdivision of another state if on official duty within this state.
h. Any armed security guard or investigator as authorized by law when on duty or going to or from duty.
i. Any member of the armed forces of the United States when on duty or going to or from duty and when carrying the handgun issued to the member.
j. Any member of the national guard, organized reserves, state defense forces, or state guard organizations, when on duty or going to or from duty and when carrying the handgun issued to the member by the organization.
k. Any officer or employee of the United States duly authorized to carry a handgun.
l. An individual engaged in manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in handguns or the agent or representative of that person possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business.
m. Any common carrier, but only when carrying the handgun as part of the cargo in the usual cargo carrying portion of the vehicle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80