Handgun hunting

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I saw the "big ass" handgun thread.

I have some "little ass" handguns I hunt with. ;)

I've had about a half dozen model 29/629's over the years and a model 57, 28 and 27.

I've killed Elk, Antelope, Deer, Javalina, Coyotes, one 100 yard Jackrabbit, one Turkey with a 44. Some I used 44 mag and others were 44 spcl.

I killed an Elk a couple of Coyotes and one Deer with the 41 mag.

I killed several Javalina's and a bunch of Coyotes with my 357's.

Loads and loads of Cottontails and Jackrabbits with my 22's.

Anybody else hunt with a "regular" handgun?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does shooting skunks that come running out of bale piles in the spring count. And raccoons that steal my sweet corn in the early fall. If so I do with the trusty XD9

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does shooting skunks that come running out of bale piles in the spring count. And raccoons that steal my sweet corn in the early fall. If so I do with the trusty XD9

Sure does, game is game.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been having fun with the ditch gophers, new glock 9 mil and extended 33 round clips can move some serious gravel.:;:rockit

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Squirrels with a Ruger 10/45 and suppressor. A couple of deer with the 357, then went to the 44 mag. One deer with the 45ACP. The 44 is sure versatile I think. Nine gr of Unique below a 240 cast will kill everything from cottontail to deer. Averages about 1100 fps. Doesn't blow up cottontail. Normally for deer though I'll put 22 gr of 2400 under the 240 for deer. Sometimes I shoot the Hornady 300 gr with the double cannelure. Now I just reserve that for things that may want to taste me out in the mountains.

A few years ago I bought a small 9mm Smith Shield for concealed carry. Then a full size Smith Military and Police. I hated he trigger, and I have a Springfield XD in 45 with a good trigger so I traded that on a Springfield XDM competition with the 5.25 inch barrel. That's the best shooting semiauto centerfire that I have ever shot. I have not found a skunk or anything to whack with it yet. Loading the 124 gr Lyman Devastator at 1000 fps. Went out last night looking for a victim, but no luck. Oh, I should mention my arms are not long enough for my old eyes to focus well on handguns (any gun) sights that well so I put a Burris Fastfire III on it. Mmmmmm that sucker shoots soooooo nice.

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have taken 4 whitetails with two different .41 mags and a muley with a "irregular" 7mm BR. Then my children were old enough to deer hunt, so i went back to the rifle to hunt with them. Plan on getting back into handgunnin' and bow hunting when the youngest heads to college.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70