Boots

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was looking at my boots today and the thought that I might be stuck in buying the same thing every time hit me.

I have 3 pairs of Danners, 2 pairs of Hi-Tecs and 1 new and 2 really worn out pairs of Sorrels.

What do you guys like?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have stupid wide feet, so i have to go up 1.5 sizes in a wide width to get boots to fit... for work I wear the redwing king toes and they are the most comfortable steel toe I have found and I currently use a pair for hunting if I am not doing a bunch of walking

I am looking at getting my next pair of hunting boots from lathrop and sons and have them fit my feet

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been pleased with my Cabela's Meindls so far (4-5 years now) but I believe there is improvements to be had when they don't say Cabelas on them.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kenetrek or Crisipi - both good boots.

I myself have 2 pairs of Kenetrek's. A close friend that I elk hunt with has/had both Kenetrek and Crisipi's. He had a pair of Crispi's that the toe guard was letting loose after an archery elk hunting trip. Went back into Scheels to exchange them and Scheels had quit carrying them because they went out of business. When I checked on them today, now their web-site heading is in Italian, so they must of apparently got bought by their Italian manufacturer.

But with that aside, Kenetrek is the way to go if you want to spend a little extra money on a premium boot. If you are a multi-species hunter and spend some time in the mountains in the fall I couldn't urge you enough to give a pair of Kenetreks a try. After crawling around the mountain side for 12 hours during the day,your feet and your knee's will be thanking you!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been wearing military issue combat boots for just about everything outdoors for the last 20 some years and they haven't let me down yet. Next year, I'll be in the market for a different genre of boot so I REALLY like threads like this.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two pairs of Cabela's Meindls and love em. Have a non insulated pair, an 800 gram pair. For christmas I got my first pair of Danner's that are 400 gram so we'll see how they compare.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always worn USA Made Danner's and they have been great. I'm also in search of a new boot after 10 years on my current pair. I've ruled out Danners again because i have heard quality is down and they just don't make a boot in the configuration that i am looking for any more. I was in Bozeman a few months ago and stopped into the Schnee's store to try on some of their boots because i have heard good things. I tried on multiple boots from several brands and the Schnee Beartooth felt really good. They are similar to Kennetrek with a bit more flex. If you happen to be in the area they are worth a stop. Very knowledgeable staff, and a wide selection of high-end hunting/hiking boots.. Asolos, Lowa, Meindle, Schnees etc. Asolo's also felt great but are more of a shorter hiking boot than i was looking for.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meindl Denali.

I have heard good things about these, may have to pick up a pair one of these days. I have no problem spending good money on boots, if your feet are getting wet or sore you won't be hunting as hard the next day. Guy spends a lot of money to go on a trip, good boots are a priority.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been pleased with my Cabela's Meindls so far (4-5 years now) but I believe there is improvements to be had when they don't say Cabelas on them.

I see a lot of Meindls on here. Do you think there's a difference between the ones Cabela's sells and the "regular" Meindls?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see a lot of Meindls on here. Do you think there's a difference between the ones Cabela's sells and the "regular" Meindls?

Made in Germany vs. made in Vietnam. I understand that may have changed since I bought mine. Understand, I have logged a LOT of miles over steep and flat terrain without so much as a broken lace so I really have nothing to complain about.

- - - Updated - - -

I should clarify. The "Ultralight Hunter" model is made in Vietnam. The Alaskans and Perfekts are made in Germany. I like that the Ultralights are a full pound less weight than those other two I mentioned.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of really good boots out there. But with that being said, different boots fit folks allot different. And until you wear them your really have no idea what to expect.
But yes Kenetrek, Lowa,Crispi,Meindle, Zamberlan all make really nice boots.

Oh by the way Crispi has never went out of business.

[h=3]Our Story[/h]
  • 1975 - Crispi Sport is created in a small laboratory based in Venato Italy by Alessandro Marcolin
  • 1979 - Distribution begins through Switzerland, Germany, and France
  • 1984 - The first leather Telemark collection is produced and distributed in: Italy, Canada, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Finland, U.S.A.
  • 1996 - Plastic polymear is used to create highly technological boots
  • 2000 - Crispi gets the ISO 9001 certification for it's products' design, guaranteeing absolute product quality
  • 2009 - The demand for "Made in Italy" brands increases due to the distribution of new foreign markets. Italian manufacturing becomes a guarantee of high quality
  • 2013 - Distribution spreads to new horizons reaching 54 countries
  • 2016 - CrispiUS.com takes over as the new American distribution channel

These are my boot of choice and I have some Kenetrek mountain extreme, these Crispi Hunter HTG GTX are a way nicer boot in my opinion.

crispi_hunter-gtx-boot.jpg

Zamberlan 980 OUTFITTER GTX RR is another nice hunting boot.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure if I'd like how stiff the Kenetrek soles are. Do they become a little more pliable over time?

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to try on some lowa's soon. My Pronghorn's are going on 16 years.

I have Lowa Tibet GTX's. They're a solid boot and quite comfortable. My first pair had issues with waterproofing. My feet were soaked during a week long elk hunt and that wasn't fun. I was given a replacement pair but haven't used them yet. Hopefully this pair is fine. They are solid boots and they're comfortable but if your feet get wet it sucks so crossing my fingers.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns for upland, Danner Trophys for the badlands and elk hunting, and a pair of Mucks for whitetails in treestands.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure if I'd like how stiff the Kenetrek soles are. Do they become a little more pliable over time?

Yes, their break-in period is longer than most boots (roughly 50 miles). They are stiffer than the Crispi's, but after the break-in period they soften up and fit your foot like a mold! The Kenetrek is extremely stiff right away but after they get broke in their ankle support is phenomenal. The Crispi's are an excellent boot as well, their boot sole is a little different than Kenetreks.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Lowa Tibet GTX's. They're a solid boot and quite comfortable. My first pair had issues with waterproofing. My feet were soaked during a week long elk hunt and that wasn't fun. I was given a replacement pair but haven't used them yet. Hopefully this pair is fine. They are solid boots and they're comfortable but if your feet get wet it sucks so crossing my fingers.

Guy I went to the badlands with had a pair and I really liked them. My pronghorns tend to give me some wicked heel blisters if I'm on rough terrain. I thought about just switching to a hiking boot this year.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Im currently using a set of Lowa's GTX Evo Extreme's and so far I really like them, No complaints for blisters, and very comfortable. Also, have a buddy that wears the Bighorn Hunters G3's and loves them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69