Redneck Blinds

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone else use their dining room for a blind? Have casement windows on both sides of a 4'x5' picture window. Gives a good field of fire over my garden and back outbuildings. Got my 22 mag sighted in to the point of being able to kill flys at 25 yards. I could tell by the blood splatter around the holes. Body count for the last two days 4 ground squirrels, one woodchuck, who is no longer chucking wood, 5 pocket gophers, them I trapped with the deathcluch traps. Have got 3 coyotes, countless cottontails and gophers over years. Might try for that trophy buck if I can ever get a damed tag, two acres don't get you a gratice tag.:;:rockit

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
Camper might make a good blind too... tv, stove, biff,,,shoot, one might never leave the yard!

Founding Member
Founding Member
old campers make great blinds for the family!
We use it for ice fishing as well. :;:rockit

camper hunt.jpg
camper hunt 2.jpg

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might be familiar with the sound of an empty .22 case being sucked up the vacuum cleaner.....

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone wants to sell me a house out in the country cheap, I would be all over it. I really miss being able to piss in my yard.......

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else use their dining room for a blind? Have casement windows on both sides of a 4'x5' picture window. Gives a good field of fire over my garden and back outbuildings. Got my 22 mag sighted in to the point of being able to kill flys at 25 yards. I could tell by the blood splatter around the holes. Body count for the last two days 4 ground squirrels, one woodchuck, who is no longer chucking wood, 5 pocket gophers, them I trapped with the deathcluch traps. Have got 3 coyotes, countless cottontails and gophers over years. Might try for that trophy buck if I can ever get a damed tag, two acres don't get you a gratice tag.:;:rockit

Goddamn pocket gophers are raising hell again this spring in my food plot, noticed last night they are making their way toward the garden. I had zero luck trapping them last year, any tips on how your got those bastards? I just have a few traps I picked up at TSC, they seem pretty cheaply made, that may be part of my problem. In all the times I dug them in, I think only one was tripped and I had countless others just buried and still set. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. My next options would be water, exhaust, or dynamite, not necessarily in that order. They are pissing me off.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had five bucks in my yard last summer. My wife didn't much like them eating her flowers. I put up a tree stand the week before rifle season and that's about the last time I seen any of them. I never did get a pic of the largest one. He was here only a week. Long enough to girdle a six year old apple tree the sucker. The regular deer that hung around would come within five to ten yards of the house. The north side of our house has glass starting a foot above the floor and extending the the cathedral ceiling. I was standing there one evening and a 5X5 strolled past at less than five yards. Got his pic out behind the house on a trail cam. The date is wrong on the camera. This should be Oct 2016.
HUNT0106.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remm. This is for you and everyone else that's got problems with pocket gophers. go on internet and look up( Death clutch gopher trap.) a page should pop up with 8 different videos top row second from left. Should say Gopher Death Clutch Set, about the best explanation on how to make set. It comes up as www.bugspray.comm. Weird name but watch it. Some other pointers. Just got some new ones at fleet farm 5.69 each DK-1 brand name I think. Take traps and like dry snap them a few times takes some of the tension off. The gopher trys to plug the hole that is what sets the trigger off. You want it to go off with a little pressure. If set too light it will snap to soon and gopher gets educated like a coyote missed after coming to call. I also smoke my traps. I put traps on a wire loop, get a fire going and put green grass or leaves too make a thick smoke, alfalfa works the best. Hang traps in smoke until they get a light brown color like sausage. Be carefull not to get traps to hot or they will lose tension. Best time to set traps is 7 to 9 at night or sunup. Pocket gophers are most active at those times. If you come across open mound just slide trap in open hole and stake. If you are where other preadators are stake with electric fence post or 2ft rebar or you could lose everything to a freeloader. To find tunnel look at mound, there will be a spot that looks like an outey belly button. Clean dirt away. There will be a spot with no grass, this is where the gopher came up. A small garden shovel comes in handy now, but first take your stake and poke in the bare spot 4 to 6 in at a little angle until you find tunnel. Funny the last few lines sounds like sex education. Take shovel and make hole too tunnel just big enough for trap when set. use your hand to clean out loose dirt in tunnel that you made. Set trap, stake, come back in morning, bury gopher. It is the breeding season right now so could be more than one gopher in runn, just watch for fresh mounds. The smoke should last about 2 weeks of solid trapping, don't worry about blood on traps and don't wash and oil until your done. Back in the 60s I worked at a lumberyard for 65dollars a week. Trapped gophers for ranchers around Mcleod, Township paid 25 cents and I charged ranchers another 25 cents. I had a trapline of 100 traps. Would average 50 to 60 a night after work and 100 a day on weekends. So I made 250$ a week trapping gophers. How sweet was that. I caught 3 albinos, a few black and some that looked like german shorthairs. Bought my first two. cars with gopher tail money. One was 65 chevelle ss. loved that car. Any one have any more questions PM me, Happy trapping.:;:cheers Ps I damed near broke the township, about 25,000 gophers over 4 years.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Goddamn pocket gophers are raising hell again this spring in my food plot, noticed last night they are making their way toward the garden. I had zero luck trapping them last year, any tips on how your got those bastards? I just have a few traps I picked up at TSC, they seem pretty cheaply made, that may be part of my problem. In all the times I dug them in, I think only one was tripped and I had countless others just buried and still set. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. My next options would be water, exhaust, or dynamite, not necessarily in that order. They are pissing me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3QIkQRGtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYm0c7gYyU

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone wants to sell me a house out in the country cheap, I would be all over it. I really miss being able to piss in my yard.......

You can do this in town too....It's just frowned upon. And if you get caught, the chances of having to register as a sex offender are much higher...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75