Scope reticles?

325 WSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went from the standard dual X reticle to the BDC on a couple of my rifles, but honestly wish I would have just stayed with the standard one. Very rarely do I seem to get a standing shot at a relaxed deer that I have time to range & effectively use the BDC anyway, but after many many years of holding over their backs & guessing, for me it's a little tough to get used to the little circles. Maybe with more opportunities to use the BDC my opinion might change but I'm sure there are people who swear by them because they seem to be pretty popular

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
My BDC reticles have hash marks instead of circles. For game hunting I like a fairly heavy reticle, even in the center. It's easier to see in low light. For varmints, I like a fine center.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It depends on the rifle for me. For a while I was putting mildot on everything. On my AR 223 with 75 gr the bullet drop reticle in the 3X9 Nikon works very well to 600 yards.
I have two scopes for my 300WSM. A 4.5x14 with mildot, and the new Vortex Strike Eagle 1X6 reticle with light.
The moderate to long range rifles I have been saving and adding Vortex PST minute of angle, first focal plane. Two reasons. One I can get accurate shots without setting the turrets if I am in a hurry, and two if I have the yardage I can estimate size. For example a nice looking buck at 825 yards. If his width spans 2.5 minutes of angle you multiply 2.5X8.25 and his width is 20.625 so it helps with targeting, and it helps with judging a trophy.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
FFP, MOA, turrets with simple reticle. I have a few SFP NXS scopes on my 250's with a busy reticle that don't really bother me either but we shoot almost every day at something and my kids built a steel range out to 800 so you learn where holdovers are on low power.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a hunting rifle, Leopold's wind-plex makes a lot of sense. Dial elevation and 1MOA hash-marks to slide up to 10MOA of wind East or West. It's simple, non-busy, and allows a guy to paste an intersection where he wants the bullet to go. I can live with something that subtends 1/2Mil as well such as L's TMR.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used the xlr reticle from vortex enough where holds have become second nature. But if someone were to just pick it up and look it is busy but fits my needs.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since we are talking about reticles I will also recommend Strelock+. I use shooter most often, but if I want to use my reticle I go to Strelock+ on my phone. It works very well for a second focal plane because it gives you a bar at the bottom of the picture of the reticle. You can slide it back and fourth to correspond to your power setting on your scope. It will change the yardages as you change the power setting. Here is a pic. BDC, Nikon.jpg

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since we are talking about reticles I will also recommend Strelock+. I use shooter most often, but if I want to use my reticle I go to Strelock+ on my phone. It works very well for a second focal plane because it gives you a bar at the bottom of the picture of the reticle. You can slide it back and fourth to correspond to your power setting on your scope. It will change the yardages as you change the power setting. Here is a pic. Blind 3.jpg

I HATE CIRCLES! and I am NOT :;: enough said.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77