Moose broadhead question...

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hi all, as I mentioned, I did draw my moose tag for M10, I am planning on bow hunting and if need be rifle (of course). My question is, I started bow hunting last year so am still obviously learning. I hunted deer with a Matthews Q2 at 65# draw last year. I am open to getting a new bow if need be, but my real question is broadhead selection.

I like fixed blades and am comfortable at about 35 yards. I shoot 340 grain Gold tip arrows. What broadhead would work for my current setup for my moose hunt? I have looked at Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts, NAP Braxe, Hellrazors, and Toxics. I have shot the G5 Montecs so far and like those but just want some expert advice from the NDA Nation. Thanks in advance.

Erik

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Magnus are good choice and ive shot numerous deer with them, but i would opt for muzzy 3 blades. Hard to beat the toughness of muzzy.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The G5 Montecs are a very good fixed broadhead one piece of steel. Muzzy I have found to be weak I used them for bear hunting one year thinking they were tough but after they snapped off the arrow I replaced them with Montecs. Your setup you have now will kill a moose.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have shot a few critters with montecs but they leave a pretty small hole. That being said, a well placed shot with a really small head will do the job in every instance. I would consider Ramcats. Watch a couple of their videos and you may be hooked. Based off your supplied brands, I would choose the montecs. Your bow setup is more than adequate.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot Montecs and prefer penetration over width of cut. Getting through a Moose shoulder blade should your shot be a bit foreword or high is much more likely with a 1 inch cut vs. a 2.5 in cut. Either one you mention would be a possibility in my quiver should I be fortunate enough to get a tag. Good Luck and Congratulations on the tag!!!!

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been on several archery moose hunts in central Alberta but unfortunately have yet to let an arrow fly as archery moose hunting is extremely tough. Nonetheless the only thing in my quiver for that hunt is 100 gr Carbon Steel G5 Montec. A well placed arrow will drop a moose incredibly fast.

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks all for the responses. I will play around some more and practice my butt off as that is the most important thing.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sick tricks. I am headed to Alaska and I am going to shoot slick trick viper tricks with fmj arrows. Need some weight behind it on a animal the size of a moose. Have you saw the size of the bones in a moose. They are big and you need all the energy you can get

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't even think about dicking around with those toxics on a moose. I agree with the Montecs. Strykers would also be ok.

Nelly

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot my moose in ND with a Matthews Legacy at 65#. Used a Beman ICS 340 arrow at 27 1/2" tipped with a 100gr. Magnus Stinger 2 blade. Had a complete pass through at 45 yds. Moose made it 65 yds. before tipping over. Have also killed numerous deer, 3 antelope, turkeys, 2 black bears and a grizzly bear with the exact same setup since. Shot placement is very important as well as knowing your equipment and your capabilities.

Good Luck with your hunt.

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those sick tricks are some sick looking tips. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

You got it. Thanks

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give the QAD exodus a serious look. Very tough blade, 3 blade fixed. Also has 1-1/4" cut dia, which is larger than most three blades. I have been shooting it for 2 years and it flies with my field tips out to 40 yards. It may go farther, but haven't shot it over 40.

I would consider giving your arrows a serious look though. 340 grains is not a very heavy arrow. You should generate speed, but your KE and momentum will be on the small size for game of this size. If I was in your shoes, I would look at getting an arrow set up for 400 or even 450 grains. Yes you loose speed, but the momentum you gain will give you far better penetration, especially at distance.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there was a thread or a video about increasing arrow weight using weed trimmer line inside of the arrows. If you like your setup but want to add weight without buying different arrows it may be an option for you.

esoxpirate

Don't even think about dicking around with those toxics on a moose. I agree with the Montecs. Strykers would also be ok.

Toxic are one shot wonders, I got a hand full of them to try and review a few years ago. They were dead on accurate for the first shot, then the blades would bend just a little and foam or dirt would get in the cracks... From there you never knew where that arrow was going. If they do connect, they do leave a great blood trail, and are very sturdy. I shot a Coyote and an Antelope with them.

I would go with fixed blade, G5 Montec, its what I shoot every day, very dependable. If you are worried about breaking through a shoulder or rib bone, you may want to look at badger broad heads.

If its penetration you want, you need the kinetic energy. As stated above you can try and use weed wacker string, or just upgrade your arrow to Full Metal Jackets (FMJ). Either way will affect your vertical axis of your arrow flight and you will have to adjust your sights.

I have to say, keep shooting, and make sure you know your comfort zone. Don't shoot beyond it.

Esox

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give the QAD exodus a serious look. Very tough blade, 3 blade fixed. Also has 1-1/4" cut dia, which is larger than most three blades. I have been shooting it for 2 years and it flies with my field tips out to 40 yards. It may go farther, but haven't shot it over 40.

I would consider giving your arrows a serious look though. 340 grains is not a very heavy arrow. You should generate speed, but your KE and momentum will be on the small size for game of this size. If I was in your shoes, I would look at getting an arrow set up for 400 or even 450 grains. Yes you loose speed, but the momentum you gain will give you far better penetration, especially at distance.

Thanks for the tip. I will get some heavier ones and try them out

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fmj and a montec would be a high-penetration set up. I have a montec, qad and slick trick in the quiver.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Monte carbon steel are a good head. They are made by pouring molten pot metal into a mold. VPA is the same type of one piece stainless head but the are machined out of a piece of stainless. They're a stronger built head. QAD Exodus is a good head as well. Think about shooting allot heavier arrow setup than you would for deer. That extra genetic energy is a big help. I'm up in Saskatchewan right now, just getting ready to go sit for the first afternoon on this bear hunt. My VPA head are flying good, but so are these nasty hybrid muzzys both on FMJ shafts. Decisions decisions!

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go QAD Exodus. I've been using them and they fly nice. I think it was Field & Stream, last year did a broadhead test fixed and mechanicals and the Exodus was the highest rated broadhead they tested. They also make a deep six version for Easton Deep Six Full Metal Jackets which is a great arrow.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66