liver recipes

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bunch of beef liver with more on the way. I get it free from friends and family who order 1/4 beef and don't want it. I don't really care for your standard liver and onions. I usually just slice it thin soak it with some Worcestershire and douse it with strongly flavored seasonings/rubs and fry it in bacon grease, lard, or beef tallow. I am going to try pate' or braunschweiger next. Has anyone made a bbq'd liver or offal sausage? Lets hear some recipe ideas.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can only eat so much of it no matter how many different ways you prepare it or how well you do it. It's just too rich and I get taste aversion for a while. But, one of my favorites was a liver sausage. Sort of like braunschweiger but seasoned differently and cased in regular sausage casings and smoked. Then you cook it and fry it like you would a typical ring of sausage.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love it. Only way I cook it is roll it in flour and aim for the wet spot. Oh shit that isn't it. Roll it in flour and fry it up.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bunch of beef liver with more on the way. I get it free from friends and family who order 1/4 beef and don't want it. I don't really care for your standard liver and onions. I usually just slice it thin soak it with some Worcestershire and douse it with strongly flavored seasonings/rubs and fry it in bacon grease, lard, or beef tallow. I am going to try pate' or braunschweiger next. Has anyone made a bbq'd liver or offal sausage? Lets hear some recipe ideas.

Cut into long narrow thick chunks and set aside , Take a thin piece of tin or an aluminum printing press sheet and bend it accordion fashion and attach a wire to it. Open folds in tin and place liver pieces in and clamp shut with large paper clips and throw them in a body of water overnight , Early morning before sun comes up harvest leeches, Reset trap and go fishing. Catch fish and eat them, Way better than liver.

Haha sorry, That's all I got but I can't stand the smell or taste of liver, It's the only edible part of a critter that I can't eat, I'm sure if I was starving I could acquire a taste for it .

Last edited:

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can it

Step one. Obtain liver
Step two. Slice and season to your liking
Step three. Locate garbage can
Step four. Throw liver in garbage can
Step five. Light garbage can on fire
Step six. Eat a steak

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can it

Step one. Obtain liver
Step two. Slice and season to your liking
Step three. Locate garbage can
Step four. Throw liver in garbage can
Step five. Light garbage can on fire
Step six. Eat a steak

:;:thumbsup

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ate liver once. I will never eat it again. The end.

Now heart on the other hand. Delicious!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fresh deer liver is AWESOME and about the only liver I like. No, scratch that, I love that stuff. Getting in my way when fresh deer liver is on the table is a good way to get one of them "Football" type injuries. Mama slices it thin, cuts the outer skin off, dusts in flour, salt, and pepper, then fries in butter. Served with fresh onions saute'd in butter and cooked until they turn opaque with garlic toast and a salad. Damn that's good stuff. Beef liver is for catfishing or the bullhead tourney.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kdm has it right,catish bait...Not much else ya can do with it,lots of ketchup and maybe a whole sliced onion then maybe...if ya are really hungry.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they only recommend one liver meal a week. Probably because of the cholesterol content.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
cholesterol and a few other things. liver is very high copper, vitamin A and B12. if memory serves, Vitamin A and copper can be problematic if overconsumed.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Polar bear liver will kill your ass. And you. (Vitamin A)

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Search some recipes on line, over cook it and the worse it will taste. Learning it is best still slightly pink. Go check out Hank Shaw, Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook. Awesome recipes there.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys weren't too much help. I actually don't mind eating it, kinda starting to grow on me. Usually only 1 meal every month. I've actually started to realize it's part of a healthy diet for me. I eat mostly meat, fats, some veggies and few fruits, almost no carbs, sugar or processed food. Eating liver fills in the nutrition gaps my diet would have. Cholesterol doesn't mean shit anymore.
I think sausage is next.
ndbuckeye- I love Hank Shaw's stuff I am on his website a lot and listen to his podcast.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys weren't too much help. I actually don't mind eating it, kinda starting to grow on me. Usually only 1 meal every month. I've actually started to realize it's part of a healthy diet for me. I eat mostly meat, fats, some veggies and few fruits, almost no carbs, sugar or processed food. Eating liver fills in the nutrition gaps my diet would have. Cholesterol doesn't mean shit anymore.
I think sausage is next.
ndbuckeye- I love Hank Shaw's stuff I am on his website a lot and listen to his podcast.

I guess you get what you pay for...

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think sausage is next.

I saw a liver sausage recipe on his site, looked good. I plan on using more of my game meat this year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75