Potty training puppies

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if any of you have any pointers for potty training male puppies. I've only ever had females and we will say the male I have hasn't been quite as easy.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Males are the same as females IMO. Feed'em and as soon as they are done eating, take them outside which means pick them up and carry them outside. I don't let my pups walk themselves, they never seem to make it. Takes about a week and they get the idea, but expect a few accidents along the way. Good Luck!!!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What's the problem with him?

When I'm training a new male puppy, every time he looks like or starts to pee or poop I scoop him up, tell him outside and out we go.

When he goes outside I make a big deal out of it and tell him what a good boy he is.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The second they wake up from a nap, take them outside, and I mean the second. 10-4 on the praise, " go potty" are the words I use over and over, seems to help. My 9 year old I told go potty before getting on the boat last week, he went over and took a dump on the rocks. Didn't crap the whole 1 mile run on the road to the ramp.

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
Control their water and food!!! Until they are fully potty trained, don't give them free range on a bowl of water/food. Take them out after about 15-20 mins after feeding. PRAISE and REWARD them when they go potty outside. Also kennel/crate training them "normally" helps with potty training as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and keep them on schedule!!!!

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
all good stuff above - took me about 6 months before I could trust my pointer to walk around the house without me following her everywhere she went. I still don't completely trust her, but for the most part will stand next to the door when she has to go.

Unless you can catch them in the act, as hard as it is not too try and keep it positive and don't inflict a bunch of pain on them, especially after they've already made the mess.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crate training definitely helps, after one or two accidents the puppies realize they don't want to hang out in their own filth. It took us a while to get our yellow lab pup trained but pretty much any time he stopped playing, woke up from a nap, got done eating/drinking we took him out. It took a while and we probably made plenty of mistakes but seemed to work out alright.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't use a kennel or crate. When I was growing up as far as I know no one used them at least around where we lived. So I have no experience in using them.

Do any of you guys that use a kennel have any experience not using one? I'm interested in the difference.

I had to bury my old Lab a couple of weeks ago and am looking for a new Lab pup. Although I've never had a problem doing it "my" way, I'm open to new stuff in training him.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our pup sleeps in a kennel but gets free range in the garage during the day. Although it's temporary until we get a fence put up, I'm o.k. with her tearing a few things up in the garage. I was having to wash a kennel out every other day. brown paw prints aren't awesome.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've seen the aftermath. How it got in the boats wiring is a true mystery.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our pup sleeps in a kennel but gets free range in the garage during the day. Although it's temporary until we get a fence put up, I'm o.k. with her tearing a few things up in the garage. I was having to wash a kennel out every other day. brown paw prints aren't awesome.

Sure they are!!

I'm a dogs live in the house kinda guy. Besides my shop is full of projects and my Willys not to mention 30 feet from the house.

As for the chewing, I give them several things they can chew up. If they chew something else they get a "pop" on the butt, are told "thats NOt yours" and given one of their chew toys. It only takes a day or so to get it across, after that all I need to do is say "that's NOT yours" and they usually drop it or quit chewing.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gots ta have a smert dog fer dat 24. I know plenty of stupid dogs that would have your whole jeep chewed to ribbons in a matter of days. Not to mention every shoe you own, garden hose, cords off your power tools, and the odd tree or two. Dalmations spring right to mind.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

This was my life with the kennel during the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Gots ta have a smert dog fer dat 24. I know plenty of stupid dogs that would have your whole jeep chewed to ribbons in a matter of days. Not to mention every shoe you own, garden hose, cords off your power tools, and the odd tree or two. Dalmations spring right to mind.

I've heard they're some dumb dogs.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used the crate training method with my last pup and it worked well. I typically put the dog in the crate when I knew it was getting close to bathroom time and let him sit for a while. Then I would take him immediately outside. Or after eating or drinking, I would put him in the crate for about 10 minutes and then immediately outside.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never had a dog mess it's crate before. Weird.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
She had one and it was a long time before it happened again. Then it was three times in one week. Vizsla's have some wicked separation anxiety.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
"go on the grass" I trained my latest shorthair in a few days. I don't ever remember her doing #2 in the house. She was 9 weeks old so that made it easier IMO. If I say that command - its an automatic trained reaction.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your going to crate train him, the biggest mistake people make is using to large a crate. They should have just enough room to lay down in there. If there is extra room they will shit on one side and sleep on the other. When I got my springer i borrowed a small crate and still blocked half of it off so he didn't have any extra room. I think i had my dog crated for about the first year or so when i was gone. Has had the run of the house since with no issues. The couple of times he has had diarrhea and couldn't hold it, he always goes into my bathroom on the vinyl floor for some reason, makes for easy clean up i guess.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
"go on the grass" I trained my latest shorthair in a few days. I don't ever remember her doing #2 in the house. She was 9 weeks old so that made it easier IMO. If I say that command - its an automatic trained reaction.

I used the same type of command to tell my dog to go as well. I would just say "go pee" and he would stop looking at me and do his business.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Yup, that's why I love Labs.

Attachments

Max as a puppy.jpg lew 1.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87