Minnkota Terrova iPilot Remote Control Buttons

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone had problems with the buttons sticking? I have a particular problem with my left turn button. You push it for a minor steering correction and the motor wants to keep turning. Very annoying! If you have had problems, short of replacing the unit, is there any way to repair it? I thought maybe I could clean them with aerosol electronics cleaner but the buttons are sealed pretty well. Thanks for your response.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you replaced your batteries in the remote lately? Mine would oversteer when my remote battery was getting low.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
every so often this happens, like maybe twice a season. I power it down pull the motor up, and restart.
Seems to fix it, until the next time, which is usually a month or two later.

I did replace batteries, thought that was the problem, but it would still do it from time to time

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweeny, I did replace the battery the first time I used it this spring and still had the problem. I have had the replacement battery for a couple of years so there is nothing to say that the battery is still good. I need to buy another spare anyway so I will give it a try.

Johnr, I'll give your suggestion a try the next time also. Thanks

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can take them apart and clean them. I did with the style I have. Not much to them. It's a set of molded buttons that contact an electrical board. Just use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol. I used to clean my old nintendo controllers the same way.

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine has been doing the same thing. New battery and a new remote. Will either turn too far or not at all.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had kind of same problem. I noticed the little button would catch and not pop back up fully. Took apart fingernail file works fine now.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
My iPilot isn't doing that so much, but it now is blinking the LED display on the remote. First battery was removed last October and a new battery went in just two months ago (March).

I know that as my old battery was going dead I had to be right at my seat and couldn't take one step back toward the net, otherwise the screen would lose connectivity with the powerhead and turn off. Now, my only problem seems to be the blinking display and not communicating well with the powerhead. I end up slapping it up against my palm a couple of times and reacquire the signal and display.

Very frustrating...

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
There must be several different designs for this remote because there is no way of cleaning contacts with alcohol or filing button on mine without destroying the seal on the printed circuit board. I have checked the prices on replacement units and they surely don't give them away. I guess I will just have to put up with the beast! Thanks for your responses.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone ever have one go into exorcist mode, where the head just starts spinning and the only way to stop it is to unplug it?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone ever have one go into exorcist mode, where the head just starts spinning and the only way to stop it is to unplug it?
Only when on auto-pilot on a windy day. Auto-pilot and wind don't mix.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
you must have issues as I hold the button down - which I believe puts it in auto pilot -- not the gps pilot. It took me a month to next sunday to figure that one out. Anyway the non GPS works better in the wind. I have never had it do circles as you state - unless if the wind takes it way off course.

1dogdown

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have changed batteries, bought a new remote, had it in twice for other issues and had them look at it. No luck! It pisses me off so bad at times. One minute it will work from the back of the boat and the next time I have to walk towards the bow to get it to work. The over correcting of the motor is the norm here also. I keep hoping the thing will die one of these days so I have to replace it. It used to work great! One day it just started doing this and has not gotten any worse. In my opinion it is in the box on the side of your motor not the remote. Save yourself the money of buying a new remote and replace the whole thing.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother had the board replaced twice in his 1st under warranty and second he went round and round they replaced. I haven't had issues with mine. He said next one will be a motorguide

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been running mine since they came out, so I have the old remote, and this was the first issue I ever had, but after I powered it down I fished with it for 8 hours no problems over the next two days

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76