fishing line spool management

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever seen for sale just the "clamshells" that Seaguar and a few others use on their spools to keep line in place? (as opposed to stupid little sticker or cut/notch).

I'd like to buy just the holders (the two half shells that clamp over the spool) to put over all my spools of line. That way the wind in the boat doesn't unwind spools of line I keep in my cubby, you can cut off as much as you want and leave a little tag outside of the clamshells to grab next time, etc.

seaguar-blue-label-spool.jpg

I have some of the type shown below but the vibration/movement unwinds - or winds up - the spools so I have to put padding inside to stop "auto-rotation". This sucks after you get them all with tags laying outside the little rubberized holes.

I noticed that Plano's photo shows the holder using all clamshell systems... which is ideal combination.

0000000088700.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is over organization. They have pills for that.
#guywithhisstuffneatlyorganized.

You would freak out if you looked in my boat glovebox

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy may need to just buy blue label to get them
long time ago I believe Silverthread AN 40 came in the clamshells

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is over organization. They have pills for that.
#guywithhisstuffneatlyorganized.

You would freak out if you looked in my boat glovebox

ha ha... my cubby is small, also contains an HDS 8 gen 2, and gets a vicious cross-wind (tiller). It's my nerve center - so when line blows all over in there I get frustrated. It's my "essentials" zone so it's one place I strive to keep organized.

- - - Updated - - -

A guy may need to just buy blue label to get them
long time ago I believe Silverthread AN 40 came in the clamshells

I recently bought 12, 15, and 20 lb Seaguar Premiere so I have some - but they'll be utilized on those same spools for a year or two at least.

I guess I could patrol the "clearance bins" at mills, walmart, scheels, etc. and junk the line - buy the spools just for the clamshells.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try to keep mine in the original box. Eventually, the box is lost or destroyed and I'm relegated to using a piece of tape. I typically only use one type of leader material so I have one spool of seagar red label fluoro in a pouch on my tackle bag and one in the boat. Speaking of line storage, does anyone else keep there's in the freezer at home? I grew up watching my old man do it so I just continued on. Father in law always asks me why and all I can answer is, because dad does.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to put in freezer back in the Stren hayday (70s-90s) but stopped when fluoro, braids, and filaments came out.

Plus I'm stupid wealthy and respool every few weeks. :;:smokin

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73