SOS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone have a killer recipe for SOS?

I was going to make some this morning but couldn't find the recipe card from my Grandma. It was probably 100 years old and written in pencil.

I did make some but it just wasn't the same.

Please help me out with a good recipe.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did your tongue go numb?? Didn't you get enough of that shrite in the military?

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did your tongue go numb?? Didn't you get enough of that shrite in the military?

I'm one of "those" guys that loved SOS. When most of the guys were bitching about having SOS AGAIN, I'd haul ass to the mess hall. I'd have 4-5 servings and would stay until they kicked me out of the mess hall. :D

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one I've heard most is a cheese sauce over very dry garlic toast. AKA cheese rarebit? (sp)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cream of Chicken w half a can of milk rather than full can water. Smother some toast with it.

It is my go-to meal when coming back from being sick.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fried Texas toast will enhance any recipe IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

(same concept as grilled cheese sandwich except both sides)

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, the SOS I had back in the 80's and 90's in the mess hall was fantastic. If there was enough bread to run through the conveyor toaster oven I'd pour gobs of SOS on top. It's even better when you plop down a ton of scrambled eggs in there, too!!

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your basic White Sauce recipe is:
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
Salt & pepper to taste

If using Tuna, only White Albacore in water will do.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
SOS is not fish or pork..

It's beef or other "red" meat (which would be "other" hooved mammals). The above poultry techs are also something entirely different. IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Not wrong: Not SOS

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Concur with 7. That cream of chicken on toast isn't SOS. It's just cream of chicken on toast. But, it sure is a tasty cheap meal. One can and a loaf of bread will feed a village. Anyway, I don't have a real recipe. If I had to give one, i suppose it's just leftover roast beef and gravy on toast and we've always called that SOS.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know that Schwans delivery service did/has a chipped beef and cream sauce. I'm unsure whether it's still in their available selections, but it was there and I've ordered it a couple of times four-five years ago.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never served in the military but Grandma was a tough task master when it came time for spring cleaning and yard work, haha. Chipped beef and gravy on toast, and homemade butterscotch pudding. And like any grandma, after you devoured every last bite, she would insist on making a couple fried chickens or sides of beef 'cause you still look hungry dear child. Simmered the beef in milk, thickened with flour and more milk, salt and pepper was pretty much it.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
SOS was a staple on the FOB's in Afghanistan. They weren't equipped with kitchens so it was either an MRE or a ladle full of cold, lumpy, dusty, 3 day old creamed beef on stale, half dry bread. A few servings of that will cure all you SOS lovers out there. Keep in mind that whatever wasn't consumed or dropped on the ground was served the next day and I think the might have picked up what was dropped and put it back in the pot. 2 months into it, I was buying food from the little kids that ran around the perimeter fence. Whatever their mom made, they would bring me a plate for a quarter. Didn't care if it could have been poisoned or whatever. At least I'd die with a full stomach. I wasn't going to eat that SHIT anymore!!!!!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never served in the military but Grandma was a tough task master when it came time for spring cleaning and yard work, haha. Chipped beef and gravy on toast, and homemade butterscotch pudding. And like any grandma, after you devoured every last bight, she would insist on making a couple fried chickens or sides of beef 'cause you still look hungry dear child. Simmered the beef in milk, thickened with flour and more milk, salt and pepper was pretty much it.

We must be kin.

- - - Updated - - -

SOS was a staple on the FOB's in Afghanistan. They weren't equipped with kitchens so it was either an MRE or a ladle full of cold, lumpy, dusty, 3 day old creamed beef on stale, half dry bread. A few servings of that will cure all you SOS lovers out there. Keep in mind that whatever wasn't consumed or dropped on the ground was served the next day and I think the might have picked up what was dropped and put it back in the pot. 2 months into it, I was buying food from the little kids that ran around the perimeter fence. Whatever their mom made, they would bring me a plate for a quarter. Didn't care if it could have been poisoned or whatever. At least I'd die with a full stomach. I wasn't going to eat that SHIT anymore!!!!!!

Was only that remote once. MRE's for a couple months. Chow hall finally opened and it was all K-Rats for a while which I didn't mind at all. In fact, some of the stuff was good. They began sourcing locally after a while and I'm here to tell you it was comparable to the Navy chow at GTMO. This was King Fahd Airport in Saudi during Shield/Storm. And before the perpetual downsizing/budget cuts...

Did you get some good stuff from the locals?

An Iraqi brought us a platter to the search pit one day and I didn't realize just how hungry I really was. Stewed meat, rice, flat bread and salad with the reddest tomatoes I'd seen in years. He was a Christian and I hope he is still well.

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
We must be kin.

- - - Updated - - -

Was only that remote once. MRE's for a couple months. Chow hall finally opened and it was all K-Rats for a while which I didn't mind at all. In fact, some of the stuff was good. They began sourcing locally after a while and I'm here to tell you it was comparable to the Navy chow at GTMO. This was King Fahd Airport in Saudi during Shield/Storm. And before the perpetual downsizing/budget cuts...

Did you get some good stuff from the locals? An Iraqi brought us a platter to the search pit one day and I didn't realize just how hungry I really was. Stewed meat, rice, flat bread and salad with the reddest tomatoes I'd seen in years. He was a Christian and I hope he is still well.

Kinda off topic but I really do believe the world would be way better if everyone could enjoy a beer and dive into a platter of properly bbq'd pork shoulder, and get served coffee by a good looking gal without fear of getting something lopped off.

Thanks for your service all who have served!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71