Large Smelt the Pike Fishermen

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I just got back from Hornbachers Northport and they have bags of 9-11 inch frozen smelt. I haven't seen smelt of this size in a store in years. I picked up 3 bags and they were about 10 bucks a bag. Get'em while they last.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 1st thing I would do is split those bags up and vacuum pak them in smaller quantities . Make them bad boys last as long as you can .

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would rather use a 3" locally caught and properly frozen smelt than a 12" free one from the grocery store. smelt caught in the tailrace or in sakakawea that are frozen right away outfish store bought smelt 10 to 1. the smell better and don't fall apart when the thaw out, they even look better.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would rather use a 3" locally caught and properly frozen smelt than a 12" free one from the grocery store. smelt caught in the tailrace or in sakakawea that are frozen right away outfish store bought smelt 10 to 1. the smell better and don't fall apart when the thaw out, they even look better.

I completely agree i had froze a bunch of smelt we caught on oahe then the next year was out fishing my buddy using the store bought stuff 3-1 he started to keep track when he had to keep getting the net for me

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree 110%. However, the tailrace is a long cast away from Valley City, so this beggar isn't going to be so choosy. All I've seen in many moons is those same 3-4 inch smelt in the stores. That makes them twice as bad. LOL!! Store Bought and Small!!!!

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
And some of us beggars can't be choosers . Like any other bait give them a Little care and it does help . Fresh or as good as local , nope but as many as have come in over the years from shore or through the ice not sure my old heart could take 10 to 1 .

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I swore last year never to use store bought smelt for anything but channel cats, but I ran out of fresh ones this year after a weekend of slaying pike. the next weekend with store bought smelt I caught one pike and missed one bite all day.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad was an old time smelt fishermen and he always bought "giant rainbow" smelt and soaked them in salt water to make them tough. He used big 6'' Norwegian hooks and sometimes caught 2 or 3 fish with the same smelt till it looked like a rag doll. I always wanted a new smelt so he would sometimes use my old one and still catch more fish than me. If a hot dog will catch a Northern I'm thinkig hungry ones will bite on anything but I pay attention to what Multi says, I have saw pictures of his Northerns. We had an old homemade fishhouse that was always dark inside , It is amazing how many big Northerns swim up for a good look then bump it with their nose and swim away when it doesn't move.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad was an old time smelt fishermen and he always bought "giant rainbow" smelt and soaked them in salt water to make them tough. He used big 6'' Norwegian hooks and sometimes caught 2 or 3 fish with the same smelt till it looked like a rag doll. I always wanted a new smelt so he would sometimes use my old one and still catch more fish than me. If a hot dog will catch a Northern I'm thing hungry ones will bite on anything but I pay attention to what Multi says, I have saw pictures of his Northerns. We had an old homemade fishhouse that was always dark inside , It is amazing how many big Northerns swim up for a good look then bump it with their nose and swim away when it doesn't move.

I was just about to ask about this! Was also going to suggest Uncle Josh Pork soaked in fish oil...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted to catch the run this year on sak but missed it by a couple days.... Sure wish there was a LEGAL way to net them in a decent quantity outside of spawn time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77