Tail race fishing tips?

Alex Hatzenbuhler

Hello me and a friend were hoping to hit the tail race for shore fishing. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to what to use for bait and location? Thanks.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For walleyes, GO AT NIGHT!!!! Then it's two rods. One with a #11 or #13 white husky jerk and the other with a 1/2 oz white jig head with a 5" white paddle tail plastic. That way you can work the whole water column without having to retie. Judge the current. If it is high and fast next to shore keep to the middle of the race. If it's low and slow, move toward the dam and find the current seams from the chutes that have water coming out. Low water equals poorer fishing IME, but you can still get a mixed bag of mostly trout and walleyes. Don't be surprised when you snag a freight train (paddlefish). Expect it!! Cast upstream at a 45 degree angle to start using the jig and let it sink a bit before you start to crank it in. For the crank bait, longer rods will give you some extra distance and cast straight out to start. Try a cast or two as far downstream as you can and then let some line out. This will cover as much shoreline as possible. The longer rod will help keep your crank from snagging in the rocks and out in the strike zone. Good Luck!!!

TheWalleye

Honored Member
I've never had an opportunity to go (it was always packed when we tried) but i hear the concrete "wall" by the boat ramp is pretty excellent at night during the summer months. Casting blue/white/silver cranks. I've never had much luck at the tailrace but never really invested much time. I know the guys who know what they're doing kill it. :)

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like KDM said expect paddlefish especially up just south of the wing walls also if you fish from the walls it's one poll only and you will need a basket.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I modified this from a tip from an "enemy" on FBO:

Rig a Carolina with a 1/2oz no roll sinker to a bbl swivel (not snap) to a 2ft leader. My preference of hook is a #2 Mustad Octopus. Thread a crawler like a plastic, pull all the way out and re-insert until you feel the bait is secure and will maintain a decent straight/steamlined profile in the water.

Inject the tail with air. Bloat the worm as much as possible without rupturing.

Flip upstream a bit, (just past where the dark water begins) and allow to settle. DO NOT launch into the middle of the river. If you do, all is lost.

Once bait is settled, prop your rod at a 45 degree angle and slowly reel back until you achieve a "belly" in your line.

Watch the rod tip and belly. When you get activity, lift the rod butt first, keeping the tip down. Don't let the fish feel YOU. If this causes too much slack; slowly reel to produce another belly. (You must actually do this very quickly and smoothly or your bait's gone)

When you feel the first tap (or more importantly; just before); ram that SOB home.

th

th

th

th

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a Buddhist and not pondering conversion. I'm just trying to express and convey the "Bait Your Hook with your Heart" concept. It's real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1ggFD6g-k

Last edited:

Wyotransfer

17 years of the tailrace and 90% of my eyes are within 10 ft of shore. Yozuri floater is my go to with the Rapala X #2. 7'6" medium light rods and 10lb solar. Find the seams, don't fall, it hurts.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62