Morel mushrooms recipe

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut in half, zip loc bag with some seasoned flour and shake to coat. Melt some butter in a skillet, crush a garlic clove and saute until garlic starts to brown, remove garlic then toss in the shrooms, fry until golden brown and enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

They are great in eggs too but the fry method is my favorite

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just put them in some butter and fry I'll have to try the seasoned flour. They are also great mixed in with baked beans.

Hornhunter

Banned
Banned
How big of a window do we have here in ND for the morels. Do they grow for just a few weeks or longer? Can u find them statewide or are certain areas better than others. I know burned areas are good spots.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say u have about a month look for elm trees. They should be in most river bottoms that are moist. As for finding spots it's best to just put in some leg work and start looking. A good morel spot is more secret than a hot walleye bite.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say u have about a month look for elm trees. They should be in most river bottoms that are moist. As for finding spots it's best to just put in some leg work and start looking. A good morel spot is more secret than a hot walleye bite.

Got that right, maybe as much even as a pot patch or meth lab; which are some things you risked hunting them in SE Ohio and West Virginia

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year i made some kind of cream sauce with them and put them over some grilled walleye.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
A nice beer batter after slicing in half is nice. I eat what we can fresh then dehydrate and vac seal to use all year in pretty much any recipe

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful about too much booze with them.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red wine in particular has been responsible for morel rocketry.

With broken blood vessels in yer eyes. Seriously... NOT a pretty sight.

Luckily God made Frenchmen immune to this nonsense.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it just the vino? I suppose that makes sense with all the compounds. Sad actually as beer/whiskey do absolutely nothing positive for many entrees.

I realize I could easily research this myself but enjoy "chatting" to gain more insight.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it just the vino? I suppose that makes sense with all the compounds. Sad actually as beer/whiskey do absolutely nothing positive for many entrees.

I realize I could easily research this myself but enjoy "chatting" to gain more insight.

Any alcoholic beverage will do it but if you have eaten morels without incident, then you are very lilkely good to go. Some people have a reaction to morels and alcohol makes it much worse. You should also not eat raw morels or dried and not cooked morels.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Only red wine in my personal sphere of morel pukers.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a bunch in some baked beans when we were out paddle drinking. Most of us were heavily intoxicated. One person didn't fair to we'll he was puking within an hour. It might of been from the large amount of beer also.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
in the river bottoms, are they sun loving plants or shade ??? Stupid question I suspect as most shroom species like the darker side

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
in the river bottoms, are they sun loving plants or shade ??? Stupid question I suspect as most shroom species like the darker side

I have found them in the open with the nearest tree 20 yards away. Most of it depends on ground temp. Sunny areas are going to produce sooner. River bottoms can be good but don't overlook any spot with trees.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Souris river is my back yard and my side of the river gets allot of sun. Will have to navigate the poision ivy and investigate more tomorrow. Mostly steep banks and allot of trees

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a good source describing the differences between morels and false morels?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80