Smoker??

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just need some input. I am looking for a smoker from 30" to 45". Mainly just to do small batches at each time. I want an electric smoker but have noticed the range in prices being from $120 to $650. Are the most expensive ones that much better? What do you guys have and how do you like them? appreciate any info provided

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently have three smokers, and have had a half dozen others. It's odd, but the cheap "Little Chief" still puts the most smoke on the meat. It burned out years ago, and even the replacement burned out years ago. For mothers day I smoked brown sugar chicken in that old smoker. I simply buy the electric charcoal starters and sit on the bottom of the smoker and put a pan of chips right on the electric heating element. It pours smoke into the whole back yard.

It has a hole in the top for venting. I have it plugged with a wooden plug. To smoke cheese I pull the plug, pull the rack out of the smoker and place on top of the smoker. Then I put the cheese on the rack and cover the whole rack with a clear plastic bag. There is so much smoke the cheese is barely visible. The cheese melts if you put it in the smoker, but on top it turns out perfect.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 30" masterbuilt electric. Its the only electric smoker I've ever used so I can't attest to how it compares to others. I've had no problems with it. I use an amaz-n-smoker rather than the chip trays if I'm doing long smokes so I can set it and forget it. It is nice and compact but at times I do wish I had the 40".

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a Masterbuilt 30 from cabelas around christmas for something like 130 bucks.. has worked great for what i use it for.. load it up and forget about it.. has a built in timer and temp setting.. you could spend a bunch more money on one with more gizmos but in my opinion theres no need.. ..I Agree, sometimes wish had the 40 for large sausage batches...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/masterbuilt-sportsman-elite-30-black-electric-smoker-with-meat-probe/1621836.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmasterbuilt%252Bsmokers%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=masterbuilt+smokers

Last edited:

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Cookshack Amerique in that size range. It was $1500 about 8 years ago. I bought it because it's stainless inside and out and at that time the durability was un-matched. No issues thus far. I think the less expensive smokers have come a long way since then. Good luck.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the masterbuilt 40" from sams club. have had it for about 6 years. never had a problem with it.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just need some input. I am looking for a smoker from 30" to 45". Mainly just to do small batches at each time. I want an electric smoker but have noticed the range in prices being from $120 to $650. Are the most expensive ones that much better? What do you guys have and how do you like them? appreciate any info provided

I have had a Masterbuilt 30" for 2 years. I like it and have had no problems. I think it was only $119 or $129 from Fleet Farm. They go on sale often.

Redandwhite_72

I have a 40" masterbuilt. Got it from cabelas barging cave. I never thought I put out enough smoke with the chils. So I use the a-maz-ing pellet smoker tray. I love it now. And with the a-maz-ing smoker you can cold smoke since it doesn't generate any heat. Sounds weird but smoked deviled eggs are one of my favorites.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
consider Bradley,looked them all over,master built seem like a good one as stated but I like the ideaof digital feed and timer/temp,its fantastic for fish,4 rack unit here,bradley is also insulated which is great for winter,best prices are found on amazon.

salmon 003.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Bradley 6 rack all electronic settings one. I really like mine. ;:;boozer

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Cookshack Amerique in that size range. It was $1500 about 8 years ago. I bought it because it's stainless inside and out and at that time the durability was un-matched. No issues thus far. I think the less expensive smokers have come a long way since then. Good luck.

do AmeriQues have fans to distribute smoke/heat evenly?

- - - Updated - - -

I do not like playing shuffle the racks.

- - - Updated - - -

which I do a lot with my Bradley original 4 rack

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
no fan in the Amerique, rack shuffling still required for ground jerky, using skewers for sliced jerky eliminates any rotation

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69