Pet Loads

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a few "go to" loads. I'm sure you guys do to, so what are they?

Some of my favorites " they're fine in my guns but in yours start a little lower and work up".

44Mag 22gr of 2400, a 240-245 gr bullet (cast or jacketed) and a mag primer, killed a lot of game with this load, Deer, Antelope, Elk, Coyotes, Rabbits and 1 Turkey (great story)

45ACP 5 gr Bullseye, 230gr bullet (cast or jacketed) and a standard primer, it's a great plinking load and good to practice with.

22-250 42 gr of H-414, a Sierra 52 gr hpbt and a Rem 9 1/2 mag primer at 7000' it's going 3990 to 4005 and 10 rounds in 1/2" at 200 yards if I do my part.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
That 44 mag load is a bit warm. Ol' Elmer cautioned against magnum primers in his recommended loads, and 2400 has been reformulated for cleaner burning. the current equivalent to Elmer Keith's classic load is now 20 grains of Alliant 2400. Your load may be okay in a Super Blackhawk or stronger, but I wouldn't recommend it for a S&W N frame.

- - - Updated - - -

What I like (bullet, powder, primer) has little to do with what my barrels like. Handloading isn't for forcing your will on your firearm, it's more a search for what the gun prefers.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That 44 mag load is a bit warm. Ol' Elmer cautioned against magnum primers in his recommended loads, and 2400 has been reformulated for cleaner burning. the current equivalent to Elmer Keith's classic load is now 20 grains of Alliant 2400. Your load may be okay in a Super Blackhawk or stronger, but I wouldn't recommend it for a S&W N frame.

- - - Updated - - -

What I like (bullet, powder, primer) has little to do with what my barrels like. Handloading isn't for forcing your will on your firearm, it's more a search for what the gun prefers.

Thanks for posting that. I have followed the "new" load for 2400 since they reformulated it and should have mentioned that. In one of my S&W's a slightly warmer load of 2400 works fine, it ejects easily, I get 10-15 reloads out of the brass and is comfortable to shoot.

When I first started loading I learned it wasn't about me or being able to shoot the load ALL my buddies were shooting it was what the gun wanted. Loads that are fine and shoot accurately in your gun may not in mine. I have 3 22-250's, in one the load I mentioned above is super accurate and I get 6-8 reloads out of the brass before I crush and toss them. In the other 2 it's wayyyyy too hot to use so I don't.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many people don't realize that even the 357 Magnum has been toned down as lighter revolvers became chambered for that round that in its original loadings would shake an N-frame Smith loose quite quickly. The original loading made 1500 fps from an 8 3/8" barrel.
an equivalent handload would be a 160gr bullet over 14gr N2010 powder (Cooper on Handguns, Jeff Cooper1974). By 1974, the factory load was 200fps slower. It's slower than that now.
The point is, don't rely on older load data. Powders change(Is N1020 still available?), pressure measuring methods get better, and in the case of handguns, guns tend to get lighter over time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75