Ali

YATYAS

Founding Member
Founding Member
RIP. One the greatest athletes of all time. He has my respect. Signed OIF Combat Vet (USMC)

Airwolf1972

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ali may have been a draft dodger and outspoken about the war however, you can not take away the pure ability of the man when he was in the ring. Truly the greatest of all times, even though he spent the prime of his career unable to box because of his suspension from the ring. Nobody will really know what he was truly capable of during the prime of his career. RIP Ali!

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
* 9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the Vietnam Era (August 5, 1964 - May 7, 1975). * 8,744,000 GIs were on active duty during the war (Aug 5, 1964-March 28,1973). * 2,709,918 Americans served in Vietnam, this number represents 9.7% of their generation.

The Vietnam Conflict Extract Data File of the Defense Casualty Analysis System (DCAS) Extract Files contains records of 58,220 U.S. military fatal casualties of theVietnam War. These records were transferred into the custody of the National Archives and Records Administration in 2008.

guess he was a good boxer, but fighter, or citizen, not so much... bout 30 million ahead of him in my book...

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
People are going to say what they want to say about Ali, he was a man who decided that he did not want to fight a war against someone who never tried to kill him. The supreme court with a 8-0 decision to overturn his conviction for not enlisting in the army. The same law that freed Ali was the same law that protects Jehovah witnesses from being enlisted. I believe it was people like Ali who helped change the policy on conscription into the military, regardless if he changed his religion to get out of war for someone else's hidden agenda which could be said for some of the ivy league schools who also did not have to fight. No if you want to fight for this country then so be it but it should be a choice for each individual, a draft is only fair if the rules are followed by ALL americans regardless of special privileges.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
People are going to say what they want to say about Ali, he was a man who decided that he did not want to fight a war against someone who never tried to kill him. The supreme court with a 8-0 decision to overturn his conviction for not enlisting in the army. The same law that freed Ali was the same law that protects Jehovah witnesses from being enlisted. I believe it was people like Ali who helped change the policy on conscription into the military, regardless if he changed his religion to get out of war for someone else's hidden agenda which could be said for some of the ivy league schools who also did not have to fight. No if you want to fight for this country then so be it but it should be a choice for each individual, a draft is only fair if the rules are followed by ALL americans regardless of special privileges.

He was a man that tucked tail and ran is what he was. A disgrace to fellow Americans. He was a draft dodging boxer, nothing more nothing less. When it was his duty to stand with the country, he turned his back.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't serve so I have no right to say either way, other than the fact that if I would have been drafted I would have stood with my brothers in battle.

Seemed to be a great boxer/entertainer.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ali was willing to go to prison for his beliefs not only that he lost the heavyweight title plus millions of dollars in loss revenue.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW, I loved watching the man box when I was a kid, but that doesn't mean I like him as a person. A fair number of people thought prison (or Canada) was safer than going in the service back then.

He was a great boxer/entertainer. As far as what he was as a person? I think others have summed it up for me, he was a draft dodger that didn't deep down love his country enough to serve when asked. Elvis got drafted, and served his country. I doubt Cassius Clay would have ever seen combat, he would have been on special duty the whole time in uniform.

It's not about your personal opinions on the conflict, it's about whether or not you are willing to stand and fight for your country even if that meant fighting for another country's people. There were a pretty fair number of people drafted to serve in WWI, WWII, and Korea as well.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact that he was a draft dodger overrides his boxing prowess. There are thousands of vets that will die whos name will never be mentioned but a good boxer dies and they want to talk about how great this man was. Sad.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ali was willing to go to prison for his beliefs not only that he lost the heavyweight title plus millions of dollars in loss revenue.

Ask the 58,220 soldiers on the wall if they think losing a heavyweight tittle and millions of dollars is a fair trade for what they lost. My opinion of this man can't be expressed in an Internet forum. I will leave it at that.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Then he should have taken his beliefs back to F'n Africa.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My folks did their best to keep me in school in the sixties but i done did graduate after four years even with the warnings/probation over my marks.
So that was that.
It was the beer and working ladies on Broadway along with the thought of being drafted and Nam that kept me in Fargo. Not the schooling.

Glad i served as i made it back and i am proud to say today, i served. Just not sure for what other than to say i served. It was the right thing to do.
I owed it to those who served before me and gave their all for all of us.

Maybe, you know the long hair freaks back then where right, naw.

Thanks for the belated "welcome home." It is a statement welcome on my part and many. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75