Frying pan ???

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up with Cast Iron and Stainless steel , Then when Teflon first came out it was supposedly the next big thing and we switched over and started using them like a habit, Grab the easiest tool. An article or a topic sparked my mind a couple years ago about cooking with cast Iron and I dug the heavy buggers out of the bottom of the cupboard and I have been happy every since. I don't know if it's in my head or not but I think everything tastes better when fried in cast iron. When I fry in stainless steel it seems to stick and burn because of hot spots. What is your favorite frying pan ?

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cast iron for me, once it's seasoned it's dang near maintence free.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cast iron. But I disagree they are maintenance free. I am very careful with mine. But, eventually I burn something or otherwise cook something that ends up sticking real bad. Then the cleaning begins. Then there is a need to re season. Rinse and repeat.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a poor version of what I do. AB doesn't have this show posted on UTube. AB's exact tech can be found on the 'net. It produces way more smoke than the below vid. You also have to pull from oven and flip once; about 30 sec per side. Allowing to attain room temp is extremely important. I probably wouldn't have bothered with the oven finishing with these size steaks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avKD8iF9eyg

Better example of meat and appearance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3smTyupcvJw

Now for something completely different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5y2voEWJ6U

AB recipe in full:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe.html/

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cast iron and stainless are both quality frying pans depending on what you are doing, searing is great in a cast iron skillet. Scrambled eggs are better done in a stainless skillet. There are some new ceramic coated pans that are FAR SUPERIOR to Teflon. I bought one for the camper and I am very impressed with how it out performs other no-stick pans. Granted, I haven't tried using it to sear a burger or steak, but it fricking rocks on eggs!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cast iron. But I disagree they are maintenance free. I am very careful with mine. But, eventually I burn something or otherwise cook something that ends up sticking real bad. Then the cleaning begins. Then there is a need to re season. Rinse and repeat.

Your skillet ain't hot enough IMHO. I hope to hell you ain't doing soap. Grease is the key. It eventually soaks through the metal believe it or not...If you find "offensive bits"; (of which there is no such thing): Scrape and oil if necessary. It's better to douse with lighter fluid and set the thing on fire than use soap to clean.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cast iron for me!

I've got 5 skillets, 2 "breakfast" skillets and some other stuff. Everything tastes much better in cast iron.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems all those non-stick pans eventually loose their non-stickyness causeing you to buy another. Cast iron will last a life time, maybe two. The more you use them the better they get.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of cast iron skillets, a cast iron dutch oven, a cast iron griddle etc. I don't clean that much, I heat it until it's smoking and throw in ice. Anything that was stuck blows off in a cloud of steam. Rinse under hot water and oil before putting it away. When I say heat I mean until anything stuck turns to carbon. Very hot. Then throw in the ice.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stainless steel sucks. I use cast iron for most things and lately have jumped on the porcelain train for household cooking. That stuff is actually pretty awesome too. I mainly use them for eggs and browning hamburger etc. I definitely use cast iron if I'm looking for flavor.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Teflon is toxic, prolly gives you cancer as well. I like cast iron, but they are heavy bastards. Stainless with an aluminum core is my favorite, good heat distribution and fairly easy to clean. New ceramic coatings are really nice also, and non toxic.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
stainless is the way to go for me - becomes almost teflon-like with use - and proper technique/care

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me, all food seems to taste better when its cooked in an old, well-seasoned cast iron.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cast Iron for flavor and ease of cleaning....until I have to move...then I like steel pans better.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO this is the best way to cook steaks when it's colder than a witch's tit out.
griddle.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79