Another grill recommendatiion thread!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The discussion on Traeger/Big Green Egg was interesting. I am currently shopping for a new grill. Nothing crazy, looking at a budget max of $1,000. Currently I have an old gas Weber along with an electric Masterbilt smoker. The Weber is a good grill just rusting out. I am not terribly happy with the electric smoker (only works decently in cold weather) and I often use a smoke generator in it to supplement.

I grill a lot and all year round. I probably go through 4-5 20# tanks on my small Weber each year. I use the smoker less but still a decent bit in the winter.

I am have no issues with a good gas grill. I have looked at several new Weber models and like what I see. However, I am intrigued by pellet grills. A few I know have Traegers and love them. I like the simplicity of the cooking process. Set the temp and forget. I am really leaning towards a Green Mountain Grill or Camp Chef (or Cabelas) if I go that way. They seem to be the best reviewed grills in the less than crazy price range.

Here are my issues/concerns:

Pellet Consumption- With as much as I grill, will pellet consumption be similar to propane costs? Not that fuel costs are a major concern but if it is significant it may be a deterrent. I don't know of any pellet suppliers that are that close to buy in large bulk.

Reliability- Lots of moving parts. How much maintenance is involved. Gas grills have much less.

Year Round Cooking- With the pellet grill I am certainly going to need a blanket to cook in warm temps without have a pellet factory in the back yard.

High Temp Ability- I like to cook hot and fast , especially with steaks. Not because of time, I'm just comfortable cooking that way. I like nice grill marks on my food. Pellet grills don't provide this. I know you can get Grill Grates for searing/grill marks for the pellet grill.

I'm not lazy and love to cook. I am just trying to figure out what would be best for me. Any thoughts based on the above?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a traeger lil tex...

if i was you, i would spend 6-$800 on a pellet grill of your choosing, making sure a blanket form fitted for the grill is available for winter, then spend the balance on a gas grill...

i prolly buy one of the sportsmans blends of traeger pellets (30?# for $20?) every other month for how i cook... we use it 2-4 times per week and do butts at least once a month year round... i have found i cook steaks way less now with the flavor of the pork, fish, and chicken... i enjoy $4 per pound meat as much or more as i enjoyed 10-$20 per pound steaks...

i now gladly give up a seared steak for the ability to have tender and moist chicken and pork... overcook a steak on a traeger and you will have a moist and juicy well done steak... i can also, and do, lay bacon and fatty pork sausage right on the grill grates and cook to very well done and crispy without flare ups...

$3 jacks pizza cooked on high are a family favorite also...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weber gas is the 1st and most important grill a griller needs. Everything else is for speciality cooking or showing off.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up a weber genesis EP-330 from Ace Hardware. Awesome grill for a pretty reasonable price.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a traeger lil tex...

if i was you, i would spend 6-$800 on a pellet grill of your choosing, making sure a blanket form fitted for the grill is available for winter, then spend the balance on a gas grill...

i prolly buy one of the sportsmans blends of traeger pellets (30?# for $20?) every other month for how i cook... we use it 2-4 times per week and do butts at least once a month year round... i have found i cook steaks way less now with the flavor of the pork, fish, and chicken... i enjoy $4 per pound meat as much or more as i enjoyed 10-$20 per pound steaks...

i now gladly give up a seared steak for the ability to have tender and moist chicken and pork... overcook a steak on a traeger and you will have a moist and juicy well done steak... i can also, and do, lay bacon and fatty pork sausage right on the grill grates and cook to very well done and crispy without flare ups...

$3 jacks pizza cooked on high are a family favorite also...

Try a chicken and garlic pizza from Papa Murphys.

Traeger is supposed to making cast iron grates now. Lots of ways to get a sear on a Traeger. There's a hell of a FB group. Traeger Grill Owners. Lots of great information and recipes. There are some quality issues with some of the newer models. I use mine a 4-5 times a week in the summer. With the exception of some long smokes, I use a 20lb bag of pellets in about 2 weeks. I keep 4 or 5 flavors on hand and store them in buckets that sugar beet seed comes in to keep them dry. One important thing about pellet grills is that they need to be kept clean of ash. I vacuum mine out ever couple uses and put foil on the drip pan and in grease pail about as often. Fire bricks can be added along the burn box to help retain heat for colder ambient temperatures.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just gave away my 22 year old Weber Genesis 1000 which still run better than the Napoleon I paid $1600 for at Scheels eight years ago. I gave it away also giving me an excuse to buy a new grill. I bought a new Genesis from Home of Economy for $999. It has an extra burner for searing, and a side burner. Weber has just worked good for me in the past so I went with it again. Oh, there small one for camping, they had last years model on closeout, so I bought that yesterday.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, a weber guy too.
I have the Q model for the camper, the Genesis on the patio, a charcoal one that must be 25 years old, and a small portable one I take ice fishing.

I had a Kenmore one prior to the Genesis, and was not happy with it at all, lots of hot spots, and wouldn't get to 600* for a good sear.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like it, its heavy so it stays with the camper. Cooks nice, I bought a tray for it and even cook my bacon on it, the entire campground enjoys the wonderful bacon smell...haha

gunship

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was really close to getting a Traeger or RecTec but wasn't sure if I would like the pellet grill so I was hesitant to pay so much. Ended up getting the Smoke Hollow 24" pellet grill on sale at Fleet Farm for $299 and I couldn't be more happy with it. Food tastes great and it's virtually idiot proof. FYI, this grill is on sale again at Fleet this week. Great value.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will disagree that a Webber is first and most important. After having a pellet grill I can't ever see myself getting another propane (maybe a small one for camping). IMO the food has a better taste off a pellet grill (especially if you like a little smoke flavor) and can do everything a Webber can. I have yet to have anything that has been cooked on a pellet grill that hasn't been nice a juicy you will never get dried out food even if you over cook a steak or burger on them they still seem to be juicy never dry.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try a chicken and garlic pizza from Papa Murphys.

Traeger is supposed to making cast iron grates now. Lots of ways to get a sear on a Traeger. There's a hell of a FB group. Traeger Grill Owners. Lots of great information and recipes. There are some quality issues with some of the newer models. I use mine a 4-5 times a week in the summer. With the exception of some long smokes, I use a 20lb bag of pellets in about 2 weeks. I keep 4 or 5 flavors on hand and store them in buckets that sugar beet seed comes in to keep them dry. One important thing about pellet grills is that they need to be kept clean of ash. I vacuum mine out ever couple uses and put foil on the drip pan and in grease pail about as often. Fire bricks can be added along the burn box to help retain heat for colder ambient temperatures.

did that a couple weeks ago... very good too...

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems everyone is one way or another. Right now I am leaning towards the gas. The food I've had off the pellet grills is good but not mind blowing. Everyone keeps taking about dried out and burnt food on a gas and I don't have that problem.

The Smoke Hollow deal is super cheap and might be worth toying around with. Two grills could be a PITA though LOL!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been in the market for a grill and see now that many pellet grills offer a sear feature. I just cant seem to drop that much coin on a grill though.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been in the market for a grill and see now that many pellet grills offer a sear feature. I just cant seem to drop that much coin on a grill though.

I felt the same way…but after going through multiple cheaper grills with each one getting a little more expensive. The second to the last one was a Kenmore with stainless steel interior and 10 year warranty on the burners, I still have it but the bottom rusted out…I decided to go with the Weber Genesis a few years ago and have not looked back…hands down best grill I have owned.

fishn4fun

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO if you want a long lasting grill go with a weber. I bought a genesis grill about 11 years ago and it still works great. I just bought a pit boss pellet grill from menards last month and have played around with it a few times. I did a pork butt for pulled pork and it turned out great. I also made burgers, brats, and steaks with it with good results, but you can make those on any grill.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have a Hasty Bake and I love it. I also have a small Weber Q for when I don't feel like firing up the charcoal. Check out this pretty cool video of these guys cooking with multiple Hasty Bakes indoors.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO the food has a better taste off a pellet grill (especially if you like a little smoke flavor) and can do everything a Webber can.

I haven't seen a pellet grill that will bury a 700 degree thermometer though both of my Webers and my BGE all will. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the fire doesn't/can't touch the meat, you're baking and ought to be in the kitchen with a plaid apron and some cookie dough. Rookies..........

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79