Savage or Tikka?

Tikka or Savage (for my specifc application)

• Tikka

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • Savage

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here’s the details.
I was drawn for an elk tag, and currently my largest bore rifle is 243 win.
This is a good problem to have. I’ve narrowed my caliber choice to 300wsm.
I shoot left handed, so factory rifle options are limited.

I’ve narrowed that to either:
Savage 11: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TROPHYHUNTERXP

Tikka T3 Lite: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tikka-T-Lite-Stainless-Steel-Bolt-Action-Rifles/706383.uts

I really want to like the Tikka but:
-It’s an entire pound lighter than the Savage. Great to carry, maybe not so great to shoot. Considering I currently don’t really mind lugging around a nearly 20# (loaded, scope, bipod, suppressor) AR10, I think that extra pound helps more than it hurts.

-Twist is 1:11 on the Tikka. Savage is 1:10. I’d like to be able to shoot 200+ gr bullets – at least I think I do…

- I know I love the Savage accutrigger (have one on my 22-250) no experience with the Tikka trigger.

So please comments on:
-- Personal experience with either models.
-- Twist rate vs bullet selection.
-- Other factors I may have overlooked.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me tika. But you already have a savage and know you like the trigger and if the pound ain't a big deal get what you know you already like.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations on the tag. For a once in a lifetime tag such as an elk (assuming it's a ND elk tag) I would try to borrow a rifle instead of buy a new one. Use that money for a good backpack or gps or range finder or for the mount. Good Luck!! Hope you get one!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the Tikka barrel large enough in diameter to thread for a suppressor? I have a Browning stainless A Bolt in 300 WSM and if you load it up it kicks the snot out of you. Currently I am loading it with the new Hornady 178 ELD-X bullet at a little over 3000 fps. It shoots that bullet the 180 gr Nosler partition, and the 150 Hornady SST very well. It's picky and will not shoot under 3/4 inch with any other bullet. It's also picky on powder and likes R19 best.
I have not shot Tikka, but have owned Savage. I thought I would make a comment on weight since you mentioned it. Hope it helps some.

Edit: With the short case which also has a short neck bullets over 180 gr in the 300 WSM start to loose efficiency. I have read in other places that it's efficiency peaks with 180 gr, so that's what I shoot. No more of the 150's for me. The velocity is up there and the recoil impulse is more punishing than the heavy bullet.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good advice KDM.
However, I already have all those things, I've wanted a 'big bore' rifle for a while to fill out the collection, and I have more money than I probably ought to. I'm getting a new rifle. Already prepped the wife.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good advice KDM.
However, I already have all those things, I've wanted a 'big bore' rifle for a while to fill out the collection, and I have more money than I probably ought to. I'm getting a new rifle. Already prepped the wife.

Wish I had your "Problems" LOL and you've passed the most difficult hurdle known to man!! Well Done!!! I don't own either brand, so I'm about as useful as an anchor on a sinking ship. Have fun pursuing your new rifle and the critter!!!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 300win in tikka -- I am a lefty so my choices are limited --- but I have no issues with recoil. I did put a limb saver on it; however I shot it before that and it was fine. I do a lot of walking when I hunt -- the rifle being light makes a difference.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the 300 wsm in the tikka t3 lite.
The guns is very light and easy to carry. Trigger is great and not too heavy. You must shoot 165 or 180 gr bullets as the twist does not like factory 150 grains. The factory 150 gr bullets do kick like a mule and do not sight in well at all.

If I were you I would get the tikka . I have two and both are awesome guns. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently own 2 Tikkas. Love these rifles. I don't reload so try to stick with calibers that have plenty of options. Factory ammo my wife's 243 keeps about a quarter size hole at 100. I have practiced a bit more with my 308 and found a round that I have nickel size 3 shot groups. Trigger is nice and as far as weight, I actually added 2lbs to mine by opening up the button of the stock and adding 2 - 1lb pieces of lead held in by some molded foam. Help quite a bit. Also added a limbsaver. With the limb saver, I took out the extra weight. No issues.

Not a fan of the larger bore savages. Have had 2. Now all I own of savage is there 17hmr. The accuracy trigger is nice. Just couldn't get over the variability in the rifles. 1 was decent the other was all over the board. Neither ever went to the field with me.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy people pay thousands of dollars for customs and don't shoot that good on a consistent basis.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually added 2lbs to mine by opening up the button of the stock and adding 2 - 1lb pieces of lead held in by some molded foam. Help quitell a bit. Also added a limbsaver.

Nice. This had not occurred to me. Make it heavier when you want it, lighter when you don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the Tikka barrel large enough in diameter to thread for a suppressor? .

Good question. Whatever I get will definitely need to get threaded. I plan to handle both and try to do some measuring. My brother had to saw an inch or two off his 7mm Sako to thread it. I'd like to avoid that.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I vote Tikka. I only have one in 22-250, but the thing shoots great. Love the trigger. You could ask a couple of the dead yotes what they think of it, but they probably have a different opinion than me.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you considered Ruger or UltraLight Arms and a more sensible .284?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get a .300 win mag over the .300 wsm.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id say Tikka has a better factory trigger, savage has more options for customization. Tikka comes in stainless (big bonus in my book). Tikka is fairly easy to add some weight to the stock if you want to take the edge off the recoil a bit, with epoxy and lead. Both shoot very well. Do you reload? Theres a few other calibers Id like more probably than the 300wms. No reason to use 200+ bullets unless you are shooting 1000m. If you are taking shots under 500m Id use TSX in the 130-150 range.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do in my rifle. I suspect total foot pounds is less, but the impulse over a shorter period of time makes you feel it more.

Doesnt that go against pretty much all the physics on why lighter bullets have less felt and measured recoil. The few 300 i have shot i know i like the 150 way better than 208 and i am a recoil panzy ass so if the 150 were bad i would be the one to cry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hence the .284...

pretty much does everything the 300 does just better

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86