Deer ticks in ND

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Found a dam deer tick on my British Lab last Thursday, right above her eye lid. Man those things are tiny, about the size of #7 shot. Had to get the magnifying glasses out to make sure stuck it with a pin and it had blood in it. Taped it to a white piece of paper and took dog and it to vet to make absolutely sure. Vet said deer ticks are starting to show up in the area, I live 25 miles west of the Red River. Pup has had her tick meds, the stuff you put between their shoulder blades, but didn't kill this one. Oral tick meds now plus shots for lyme d. Be careful with your dogs outdoors.

Last edited:

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
What type of tick repellant do you use between their shoulders. I have found that Frontline is better than some of the "off" brands.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
What type of tick repellant do you use between their shoulders. I have found that Frontline is better than some of the "off" brands.

We give the oral medication. Can't remember the name offhand. Made by the same company as Frontline I believe, but you don't have to mess with that nasty topical junk.

As for deer ticks, that makes me feel yucky. One of the shining beacons of this area is/was the fact that there were no deer ticks and no confirmed cases of Lyme's coming from ND. I hope that doesn't change. It's one reason I stay out of the MN northwoods until after the first (and sometimes second) hard freeze of the fall.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a dam deer tick on my British Lab last Thursday, right above her eye lid. Man those things are tiny, about the size of #7 shot. Had to get the magnifying glasses out to make sure stuck it with a pin and it had blood in it. Taped it to a white piece of paper and took dog and it to vet to make absolutely sure. Vet said deer ticks are starting to show up in the area, I live 25 miles west of the Red River. Pup has had her tick meds, the stuff you put between their shoulder blades, but didn't kill this one. Oral tick meds now plus shots for lime d. Be careful with your dogs outdoors.

Other than the obvious badness of Lyme, the other bad thing about deer ticks is that they're still a factor in Nov/Dec. I've done some ruffed grouse hunting in MN after their blackpowder deer season and still had to pick ticks off of dogs. They're hardy little bastards.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the shining beacons of this area is/was the fact that there were no deer ticks and no confirmed cases of Lyme's coming from ND. I hope that doesn't change. It's one reason I stay out of the MN northwoods until after the first (and sometimes second) hard freeze of the fall.

That's not long enough to stay tick-free. I've picked lots of ticks off of dogs when there's snow on the ground.

mmanske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20160616-090116.jpgScreenshot_20160616-090116.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was always under the assumption that they haven't been able to confirm the Lyme's cases in ND actually came from deer ticks in the state. I could be wrong (probably am) but I was always told it usually led to someone picking it up from out of state.

SDMF, I know a couple freezes isn't enough to kill all the bastages, but it certainly thins the numbers. It's the difference between finding a couple to spending hour picking dozens off the dogs.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy in Jamestown who's lab just dies in the last month from what they suspect was Lyme disease. All those cheeseheads' and 'sotas' dogs are bringing them with in the fall when the blue plates descend upon us!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy in Jamestown who's lab just dies in the last month from what they suspect was Lyme disease. All those cheeseheads' and 'sotas' dogs are bringing them with in the fall when the blue plates descend upon us!

Blue platers really are destroying our state!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 139
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77