Leaders for LeadCore

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys use for leadcore leaders and how long do you go? I was looking at running 10 feet of either fluorocarbon or fireline. and what knot to use, I used willis knot from backer to leadcore but looking at the knot it just doesnt seem very strong, good chance im wrong on that.
This is my first year hitting the crank bait box hard so i might be asking a few questions on this subject this year. so far ive really enjoyed running cranks on my powerpro poles, My wife hates every time we go to any store i leave with a few more flicker shads, she thought she would get away with it at menards, they sell flickers too. this is addicting
Thanks in advance

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 30' of 12# big game. 30' makes sure there is a little stretch in the line and when you are at the boat with the fish you should have 20' of mono on the reel.

im currently using a small ant swivel between my leader and leadcore, but I'm trying to get better at using the knot where you strip 6" of lead out of the Dacron then tie an overhand knot. Then you insert the mono leader inside the Dacron about an inch and a half. To finish you roll the overhand knot down so the knot tightens up within the threaded section.

Alberto knot ??

I have seen guys use fireline also, you tie an overhand knot in you Dacron then tie a palamar knot with the fireline and snug it down above the knot in your Dacron. Trim close and catch fish ( also 30' length )

most at small cranks dive 5' with 30' line out so your math can be close too.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
how does big game hold up to pike teeth? i do most of my fishing in areas with alot of tooth critters, Or when Im in pike heavy areas i guess a 6 inch steel leader could help cut down on lost baits

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use an Alberto knot for all my line to line connections. I can't ever remember when to stop when I use a swivel and crash it into my top guide. Alberto knot has held up well over ice fishing and so far this spring.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guessed wrong. The Alberto is different than what I'm thinking about.

For pike try the knot too kinky tie able titanium leader.

its really cool stuff. It stretches and resists kinks.

the pike I caught were all landed no problem but there is a certain degree of risk.

Wishiniwasfishin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im new to lead core and i have been using about a 5 foot leader. why do you guys choose to use such long leaders i would think that at 5 to 6 feet they cant see the leadcore.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Willis knot is your huckleberry !!

Wishiwasfishin, read my first post bud.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a 50' of pp - 30lbs test on the end. that way if I get a snag --- I backup reel in to the PP portion and then pull the snag out.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huff, that just doesn't look like it would work. Every other knot takes so many twists and dips that this just seems too simple. When I get set up for leadcore I'll have to give it a shot.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huff, that just doesn't look like it would work. Every other knot takes so many twists and dips that this just seems too simple. When I get set up for leadcore I'll have to give it a shot.

i know huh ?? But it works I have been told by a reliable source that like you hates reeling a swivel through the guides

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats what i used from lead to backer. looks way to simple to work. most fishing knots take 8 twists, 3 loops, a slight south east breeze, and trim the tag end.
seemed tough so ill run it from lead to leaer as well. i was just worried as slick as superlines are that they would slip out

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a small Barrel swivel with a trilene knot on both ends. I know it isn't "proper" but it works for me and it's fast. Might even win a tug of war in it's weight class.

EDIT I just checked , I take another shortcut AKA improved clinch knot.

Last edited:

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a 50' of pp - 30lbs test on the end. that way if I get a snag --- I backup reel in to the PP portion and then pull the snag out.

That sounds good, but do you seriously stop and reel every rod up every time you snag? I don't.....I grab the spool and if it comes out great, if not, time for a new crank.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sounds good, but do you seriously stop and reel every rod up every time you snag? I don't.....I grab the spool and if it comes out great, if not, time for a new crank.

That's what I do too , The cheap wire hooks are nice in this case , A lot of times they straighten out and away you go.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the nail knot to nail knot with 10lb triline XT 10' leader.... when i snag i pull on it and break my leader tie up a new quick connect (as it usually breaks at this knot) and move on... sucks losing a $5-20 crank but that's the price of speed

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
depending on what lake I am fishing. for example --when the fishing fresh trees -- I will hang onto the spool and pull through. When fishing dead old hard trees --- hooks may straighten or the 18lbs test lead will snap.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
depending on what lake I am fishing. for example --when the fishing fresh trees -- I will hang onto the spool and pull through. When fishing dead old hard trees --- hooks may straighten or the 18lbs test lead will snap.
I've lost plenty of cranks but I've never broke my lead core before. I'm not even sure what test lead I run. I bend lots of treble hooks, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've lost plenty of cranks but I've never broke my lead core before. I'm not even sure what test lead I run. I bend lots of treble hooks, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

I have a splice in the middle of one of my leadcore lines where I broke the leadcore but caught the line and I was able to hand line back and got my leadcore

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
i use about 40ft of fireline. then i use the smallest swivel you can find and that goes threw eyes good.

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my leadcore rigs I have 30' of power pro tied to the lead with a willis knot. So far have not had any trouble with it breaking. I'll pass on the same advice that was given to me when I set my poles up. Make sure they all have the same amout of backing, leadcore and leader lengths. I used a permanent marker and wrote it all down under the reel foot because I'll never remember when it comes time to replace it. Then all you poles will run the same depth with the same amount of line out. Also make sure to calibrate your linecounters (if you use them)or they can be way of when using a dive chart.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67