Bow~fishing 2016 !!!!!

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I upped my game this year and called Arlon at Back Water Inc and built this little bugger..

IMG_4635.jpg

The shallow and plant life choked off water south of Bismarck has always been something I wanted to explore. As a younger man I spent many days in an old set of tennis shoes wading from Sibley boat ramp across to the sandbars chasing carp.

So with the new ride I can access any back water I can find. After burning close to 10 gal of gas in my Predator 420 14HP engine and one oil change to Royal purple oil I can report that the boat is amazing !!!

As long as there is water under the plant life I can drive through it, there has been times that the only water I can see is behind the boat after the salad shooter from hell has mowed a trail.....

So my son and I have been harassing the rough fish and I haven't laughed so hard in a long time as I did when I hit them with the prop. Here is a pic of one of the prop strike victims.

IMG_4650.jpg

My son is not able to draw a real bow so with one of the Scheels little dude bows he has been giving it his best shot. He has stuck a couple but the barb on the arrow hasn't made it past the skin.

IMG_4653.jpg

I bought the bottle reel set up from AMS and it is the cats ass. Couple victims from it and my ancient Browning compound.

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

So the fish are spreading out and I'm gonna try night fishing starting tonight. Only thing that I don't like about this boat ( 1432 ) is that it's strictly a 2 person boat, so I'm looking to go bigger. Probably a 1648 with a 23HP V-twin for next year. So my little sampan might be up for grabs.

http://www.backwaterinc.com/

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
God, I wish I could hit the slop and stick some piggies again. Been way, way too long. Used to pass many summer days chasing carp.

Tittysprinkles, was that fun!

198172_507716375445_6472_n.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does one do with the carp after shooting it? Anybody eat carp?

We had a trapper buddy who took a bunch. Smoked some of the smaller ones. My mama's tomatoes grew like weeds with a 20 pounder to feed on all summer. And if there was a Hmong family at the dock when we got back, they usually would take the entire barrel whether the fish had been sitting in 90 degree heat all day or not.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Normally if you ask many farmers would love to have them. Had one guy that we used to drop hundreds off at back in the 90's. He was a little reluctant at first but by the second year he literally made a map of his fallow field and had us dumping them in all the areas lacking nutrients. According to him he could easily tell where they were and we're not come harvest time the next year.

It's funny that marsh down there is one of the only places in ND where ive seen north dakota guys out in real duck boats. Was a little shocked when we had my buddy's 24 foot duck boat way back in there last year and saw we were not alone as an air boat came zipping by. It was fun watching the costs try to get out of the way of that thing.

Nice mirror carp by the way.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, the mirror carp caught me off guard; what is the prop killed fish...a buffalo? Strange shape. Did you bury them in the fields? I'll bet there was a lot of fat 'coons in the area!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
No we just dropped them off and he worked them in come fall. We were bringing in up to a thousand a day when we're going full tilt. Eventually we grew tired of just shooting any carp and got very selective on only shooting large female buffalo and gar so our take dropped to only 150 to 200. Mind you weight wise it was close to the same.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome pics I just got into bow fishing this year. It has been a blast.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
we had our little get together on lake Thompson in SD its a big 15 shoot winning team had 383# for 15 fish , we've gone the same route rather hunt the biggun's running weight in but did get a few pic's , love the sound of the line as it rip's through the water on a good fish ;:;roflThumbs Up:;:rockitglad you and your son are having fun he'll be hooked for life:;:thumbsup

0ee37251-013c-42e4-8e87-6d7984f379a1.jpg4893f3a7-e45a-42d0-87b4-04ce74202596.jpg1206327a-de8e-4d5b-92c4-7cf57a383900.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

really want to make the little field bay shoot on van hook later this month just no sure I can pull it off

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know how that happened , I was just using the camera in my phone :;:huh I've taken pic's since and they've turned out fine , might of been dust or water stain on the lense

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74