Need Recommendations for a Marine VHF Radio and Antenna setup for Lake Sakakawea

defiant1

Honored Member
It will be my first time on this water, figure I'd better be prepared just in case.
Fixed or Handheld?
Any practical experience or applications are appreciated.

d1

Last edited:

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will be my first time on this water, figure I'd better be prepared just in case.
Fixed or Handheld? A
ny practical experience or applications are appreciated.

d1

Is it for emergency cases or trying to communicate with buddies/family?

I have no real world experience with them sorry and not really helping this thread much, but was thinking about the use of them a week ago while up there. I see a lot of boats still sporting the big antennas however don't think I have seen anyone use theirs for years. Cell service continues to get better even though there are still plenty of dead areas.

If for emergency use only I would think a handheld (if reception is similar) would be a lot more practical than hardwiring in a unit and then having to deal with the large antennas as well.

defiant1

Honored Member
Is it for emergency cases or trying to communicate with buddies/family?

I have no real world experience with them sorry and not really helping this thread much, but was thinking about the use of them a week ago while up there. I see a lot of boats still sporting the big antennas however don't think I have seen anyone use theirs for years. Cell service continues to get better even though there are still plenty of dead areas.

If for emergency use only I would think a handheld (if reception is similar) would be a lot more practical than hardwiring in a unit and then having to deal with the large antennas as well.

It would be for both emergencies and communicating with family.

MTPoleKat

[h=1]Shakespeare 4187 SS Ratchet Mount[/h][h=1]Shakespeare 5396-AIS Galaxy 4ft. Little Giant[/h][h=1]Standard Horizon GX1600B Standard Explorer VHF Marine Radio - Black[/h]
very happy with this setup good range. would post links for ya but don't have enough posts. got it all on amazon. the radio is really nice comes across automatically with weather warnings and coast guard messages.

defiant1

Honored Member
Shakespeare 4187 SS Ratchet Mount

Shakespeare 5396-AIS Galaxy 4ft. Little Giant

Standard Horizon GX1600B Standard Explorer VHF Marine Radio - Black

very happy with this setup good range. would post links for ya but don't have enough posts. got it all on amazon. the radio is really nice comes across automatically with weather warnings and coast guard messages.

Thanks for the recommendation.

d1

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75