Timer for Power Cord

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I like to leave the boat at the camper. I never feel good about leaving the 2 bank charger plugged in for the entire time I am gone. I am looking into buying a timer for the power cord. Found a few. As long as it can run for 12 hours or so, then shut itself off, I'd be happy.

Does anyone use anything like this? Anyone else worry about leaving their boat plugged in for a week or 2 at a time?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It won't hurt a bit. leave mine plugged in all the time. even all winter if I can. onboard chargers are designed for that

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing that damage OBC's is heat. As long as yours is somewhere it won't overheat, leave it plugged in. I've left several different models plugged in for months at a time at home in the garage with no issues at all.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only time my OBC isn't plugged in is when I am travelling or fishing with the boat. I left it plugged in all last winter while I was in Texas for 3-1/2 months. No problems.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boat and both campers are plugged in all winter. When your battery is dead the on board chargers may kick out five amps, but when your battery is charged they drop to a maintenance level of less than one amp. Walmart has cheap one amp maintenance chargers and I keep one of them on my four wheeler all winter and summer. I put one on the lawn mower for a couple of days at least twice during the winter. I find that using maintenance chargers and leaving batteries where they are works better for me than removing and storing batteries.

Edit: I run a maintenance charger all winter on the boat. I just replaced that battery this spring after eight years.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86