Interesting boat maintenance tip

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my research for my boat issues, I stumbled upon this video:

In it, the fellow explains that if you have a smaller carbureted engine, you should start it, run it until it dies, and then bleed the carbs.

Never heard of that before, but with my recent carb problems, I'm wondering if I should do the same thing. Would be easy to accomplish while the boat is still at the lake, too (granted nobody is waiting to use the landing.)

Thoughts??

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would always run our carb engines dry at the ramp by pulling the fuel line - but stopped short of draining the carb. PITA factor seems high on the carb draining - probably not a bad idea though.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Guy, do you run fuel stabilizer all year? I threw some Sea-Foam in when I was dealing with issues, but not sure if it helps or not. Otherwise I hear there is marine Sta-Bil, too.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer SeaFoam over Stabil.

What's your ratio? I literally dumped half a bottle into about 8 gallons of gas. Think that's a bit rich, but I know guys who will empty a bottle every time the put in more than 10 gallons. So probably doesn't hurt?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
No need for any of the snake oil potions if one runs 91 ethanol free octane in any and all marine and small engines. It is mandated by law to have a minimum 1 year shelf life where as regular 87 ethanol only has a 30 day shelf life before it degrades and causes carb issues and 89 ethanol has a 60-90 day shelf life before degrading.

Ethanol free gas is the only thing that should ever be put in a small engine and especially any marine engine as ethanol attracts water along with its short shelf life which then varnishes and eats out the seals and gaskets in the carbs.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
No need for any of the snake oil potions if one runs 91 ethanol free octane in any and all marine and small engines. It is mandated by law to have a minimum 1 year shelf life where as regular 87 ethanol only has a 30 day shelf life before it degrades and causes carb issues and 89 ethanol has a 60-90 day shelf life before degrading.

Ethanol free gas is the only thing that should ever be put in a small engine and especially any marine engine as ethanol attracts water along with its short shelf life which then varnishes and eats out the seals and gaskets in the carbs.

I can't even recall the last time I saw ethanol free gas. Where the heck do you find it?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's still around but it's not much cheaper than premium so I usually just fill with 91. I throw in a can of seafoam every other fill. Do I need to? probably not. Does it hurt? No.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Guy, do you run fuel stabilizer all year? I threw some Sea-Foam in when I was dealing with issues, but not sure if it helps or not. Otherwise I hear there is marine Sta-Bil, too.

no ethanol ever in any marine or small motor - and yes sea foam or sta-bil marine all year. I skip stabilizer if I'm about to fish for 3 days straight and I fill the boat, since it's mostly going to get burned right away

ethanol is indeed the devil :mad:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright, well I'll burn through the 87 in my tank as quick as I can, and then fill up with 91 after that. I didn't realize 91 didn't have ethanol. I thought it all did these days.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright, well I'll burn through the 87 in my tank as quick as I can, and then fill up with 91 after that. I didn't realize 91 didn't have ethanol. I thought it all did these days.

Look @ the label on the pump, some does, some doesn't. IIRC you're in Fargo, Fleet Farm for sure has E-free premium.

Regarding the OP, I've been back and forth on that as well. IME, empty and dry fuel systems don't have any buildup but do "dry-rot" gaskets faster. Damned if you do damned if you don't. I'm in the treat good non-E fuel and fill it full, full, full so there's no dead air space to allow condensation.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

You are on north side I think - the Red Carpet Wash on corner of 19th Ave and 10th St. for sure has premium with a sticker on the pump saying ethanol free - and some BS warning that it's to be used in vintage equipment or some crap - my blood boils every time I read it. :mad:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Grand Forks we have 87 octane ethanol-free gas. Usually only 20 cents higher than 87 with ethanol....and you make up the difference no problem with increased gas mileage, so that's all I use in my truck as well.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cenex in Garrison has E- free gas. I believe all 3 octanes. I use the 91 octane in my boat.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2016-07-07 09.27.59.jpg

hey duck - make sure you get proper authorization before filling with premium

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never seen a sign like that before.

I use 91 in all of my stuff(lawn mowers, trimmers, chain saw, motor cycles, boat, side by side) but never in my 2 gas vehicles, they get whatever is the cheapest, as I will not keep them for 10 years or more like I will my small engine stuff.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put whatever's cheapest into everything gas wise, have never had a single issue. And all my vehicles have came close or gone over 300K miles, it can't be to bad. When I store small engine stuff and boats for the winter I either drain it and run it dry or run sea foam through it.
I run the boat on average about 3 times a week may-august, cheap gas and walmart supertech oil. Zero issues..just sayin.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75