Looking for 24v 70+ lb trolling motor

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dads took a hot deuce on our fishing trip last weekend. Has the turn function but no propeller turn. If any of you guys have one for sale please let me know.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny I heard of a guy who had similar problem on a power drive, maybe he will chime in and help troubleshoot. I think it was a bad connection. I had one that the motor got water in it rusted and wouldn't spin, I think Scheels fixed it for 60 bucks, this was ten years ago though.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
He had some issues with it in the past and figured out it was a loose connection in the head of the unit. They rural North Dakota'd it and got it to work for a few years. He talked to the guy that does minnkota work for scheels over in Mandan and quoted him about $200. I think he only paid $400 for the motor initially. I'm trying to talk him into a new terrova but he hates to spend any money.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check the classifieds There's a 70 lb. 24v terrova under boat accessories.

Thank you. I did see that one and passed it off to him. I only posted here on the off chance someone here was waffling about selling one they had.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's somthing in the head I have a i- pilot upgrade I'd get rid of. Doesn't come w/ remote.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dads took a hot deuce on our fishing trip last weekend. Has the turn function but no propeller turn. If any of you guys have one for sale please let me know.

My dad's did the same thing last weekend....Do we have the same dad?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's somthing in the head I have a i- pilot upgrade I'd get rid of. Doesn't come w/ remote.

you just switch out heads? Simple process?

- - - Updated - - -

My dad's did the same thing last weekend....Do we have the same dad?

Well, funny story with that. I did find out about a half brother when I was 14 years old. He was almost 30. Old man came back from vietnam and got busy one night while out to the bars in Massachusetts. Good thing my mom was still in high school at that time.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, but thinking back i don't think there was really anything in the normal head that you remove. the auto pilot head just adds the GPS and bypasses the foot pedal.

Cant say that it would work, but it would take all of 20min to swap out and try.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 12 year old Autopilot Powerdrive that got updated to a co-pilot and when that remote went bad I upgraded to an I-pilot. Seems to me the swapping out of the boards required a little knowledge of the wiring as he'd cut and solder the wires, some he'd cap, etc. And yes, going this route removes the foot pedal option and leaves a person with just the remote control.

Note, it's not for sale but more for your consideration in how easy it is to swap out the boards. While it didn't take the guy long and I watched him do it, it was pretty clear it wasn't that difficult so long as you knew which wires to cut and use, and which to dead-end/ignore.

Last edited:

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Motorguide Xi5 on my boat and absolutely love it.

thats what everyone that has one has said to me, IMO it comes down to what electronics you are running already or want to run, if you have a humminbird electronics paired with a +link minkota its is awesome... the regular terrova was OK but it wasn't great and could have been better IMO (ran that for 2 years), the motorguide having 2 GPS in the head gives it much better spot lock and autopilot capabilities on it's own, the +link imo makes the minkota better but it is also a hell of a lot more cash to drop on a trolling motor + graph so that you can take advantage of it.

xi5 80# is $1500
terrova 80# $2000
terrova +link 80# $2400 + $500 to $3000 for a graph to take advantage of it

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
terrova has a problem with the propeller seal being compromised because of fishing line my guess is this is the problem. earlier in the spring friend of mine had the same problem this was it. I'm not sure of the cost to fix it but it was a lot cheaper then replacing it. When it comes to a trolling motor and you are underpowered your control sucks and we all know that if you don't have control you are missing a lot of fish. Tell him to bite the bullet and invest in a new one.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
He currently has an old powerdrive v2. I had him pull the prop off as well and he said it was clean. And believe me, I've been on the "replace" over "repair" boat from the get go.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my father, but seeing him a couple times a year seems to fill the void for both of us.

I have had him in any of my boats once in 20 years, and he said that he had a real good time lets do this again in 20 years...haha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56