onboard charger

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying to narrow it down between a few on-board chargers.

1. Minn Kota MK-315D On-Board 12V Marine Boat Battery Charger 3 Bank x 5 Amp MK315D ($152)
2. ProMariner ProMar 1 5/5/3 13 Amp 3 Bank On-Board Marine Boat 12V Battery Charger ($130)
3. Promariner Prosport 20 Gen 3 On Board Marine Boat Battery Charger 20 Amp 3 Bank ($180)

All prices are from ebay. This would be installed on my 2 trolling batteries and my starting battery. I'd like to throw on the Minn Kota Marine Boat On-Board Battery Charger Precision MK-345PCS 3 Bank 15A but at $250, I start to hesitate.

Thanks for the help and eventual derailment.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm... what happened to Guest brand? Used to be very well regarded. Mine has been great (12 yrs).

- - - Updated - - -

buy the longest warranty?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Figured that sparkly blue boat would have been set up with that type of necessity.

my dipshit buddy Jeff's boat came with it, and he is cool like you...:;:cheers

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
MinnKota over ProMariner. Twice on Sunday's.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both a Lund (made by Minnkota, I think) two bank for the trollers, and a single bank Guest for the starting battery. 12 and 8 yrs old, respectively.

Of those listed, I'd go with the $180 version. For a couple reasons, first...It's your money and not mine; and secondly...when camping at the lake, a shorter turn around time is often helpful if you're using the electric motor a bunch. It used to be that deep cycle batteries didn't like chargers above 5 amp, but that's a thing of the past nowadays.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree - the $180 - cuz I can count the number of times I wished I had bought the cheaper item on one finger

and that's because it was stolen soon after I bought it

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Figured that sparkly blue boat would have been set up with that type of necessity.

my dipshit buddy Jeff's boat came with it, and he is cool like you...:;:cheers

I bought the boat under the premise that it had an onboard charger. Dickhole minnesotan failed to mention that it was now a paper weight with wires.

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been happy with my ProMariner, but I would get a little bigger one with more amps. The ProMariner ProSport 20+ is nice.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the minnkota 330d charger. No issues, I bought it used on ebay for $100. Got it 4 years ago.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my second MinnKota. I wish I had bought the three bank, but I got the two bank for my trolling batteries and run a 1/2 to 2 amp maintenance on the starter battery. After putting in the new MinnKota I tested the old one and it was till oK. It's been five years so I don't remember what the problem was. I did save the old one in the event the new one bites the dust.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definatly go with the highest amp rating you can. I have a 10amp charger that after heavy use won't fully charge a battery overnight. 5amps after multiple days of use you may end up with a dead battery.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definatly go with the highest amp rating you can. I have a 10amp charger that after heavy use won't fully charge a battery overnight. 5amps after multiple days of use you may end up with a dead battery.

Agreed, 10A/bank is bare minimum IME.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't had my Minnkota long enough to give you a review. I got a really good deal on a two bank and I couldn't pass it up even though a three bank would have been more handy. I'm stupid and I do stupid things.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go with a two bank if I didn't have anxiety about running out of juice to start the motor while on the water. Being as I run two graphs off of the starting battery, voltage gets a little low by the end of the day. As it stands, my farm and ranch charger is starting to be a pain in the ass. I have my trolling batteries tucked into a compartment and accessing them takes some flexibility. I've thought about the 2 bank route but I know sdmf would yell at me.

*edit: every since I upgraded to windows 10, my keyboard has a friggen mind of its own. I re-read some of my posts and I sound like an idiot. Moving on.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go with a two bank if I didn't have anxiety about running out of juice to start the motor while on the water. Being as I run two graphs off of the starting battery, voltage gets a little low by the end of the day. As it stands, my farm and ranch charger is starting to be a pain in the ass. I have my trolling batteries tucked into a compartment and accessing them takes some flexibility. I've thought about the 2 bank route but I know sdmf would yell at me.

*edit: every since I upgraded to windows 10, my keyboard has a friggen mind of its own. I re-read some of my posts and I sound like an idiot. Moving on.

I only run a 2 bank. I run 3 graphs, radio, and pumps off my group 27 AGM. And it ain't the keyboard (grin).

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
dc836549a7589c2a.gif

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not an onboard charger but has anyone tried one of these with the battery recondition feature ? My forklift has had a weak battery for ever but I seldom use it so I just lived with it, I hit the recondition button and walked away thinking that has to be a hoax but it sure felt good to be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I think boat batteries that have a slow steady draw could really benefit from a recon once a year .

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member

My phone does that to me. I start trusting it, then it changes words on me and I -------- ya look like an idiot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71