Returning Rods

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you guys ever by a fishing rod that had an over the counter replacement, then when you bring it in they say we don't do that anymore with those rods. Scheels shit the bed in customer service today, took my Fenwick elite tech in to exchange it as I broke it this past weekend, grabbed my replacement rod off the shelf and they said we don't exchange those anymore as of last year. I told them I bought it a few years ago and it had an OTC exchange then.That was the selling point of the rod when I bought it 3-4 years ago, was the no hassle over the counter rod exchange, the guy looked at me like tough shit we don't do that anymore.

Needless to say Dakota tackle did me a solid and no questions asked exchanged my fenwick. Thanks to the guys at Dakota tackle at least they won't leave you up shit creek on tournament week like the "experts" at scheels, I heard they pulled something similar with other guys on older scheels brand rods lower class than guide, previously I never had any problems exchanging anything there in the past might just be the clown I dealed with today, but it will make me spend my money elsewhere, unless it is a price match.

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dakota tackle also did the same for me a year or two ago. No questions asked just grabbed the rod and gave me a new one. I also bought it originally at scheels.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sucks! All they have to do is send the broken rod to the manufacture to get a replacement, but they won't do it. The Scheels in Minot's fishing department is a JOKE as well.:mad: Went in it the other day looking for a specific Salmo crank bait, and I think I have more crank baits in my tackle box then they had on the racks. ;:;boozer

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will be my dying wish that every scheels burns down only to see a fleet farm rise from its ashes

- - - Updated - - -

The one in Grand forks has gotten good a fixing minnkota trolling motors for a decent price though I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

The one in Grand forks has gotten good a fixing minnkota trolling motors for a decent price though I guess.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the same experience sweeney. I bought a Fenwick Elite Tech 7'2" and it broke as I was putting line on it. I didnt even get to use it. Talked to Scheels fishing dept. and they said I had to send it in. I spent the $30 on shipping to Fenwick and I had it back in less than 2 weeks. They deemed it a manufacturer's defect. I finally got to use it last weekend and it is an awesome rod.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This sucks and is a result of the Obama economy. I am a big fan of Scheel stamped rods. I don't believe I'd be able to fish properly with the "high end" stuff of which you boys speak due to slipping around in my own semen.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's why I am going to learn to build my own rods no more hassle ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the same experience sweeney. I bought a Fenwick Elite Tech 7'2" and it broke as I was putting line on it. I didnt even get to use it. Talked to Scheels fishing dept. and they said I had to send it in. I spent the $30 on shipping to Fenwick and I had it back in less than 2 weeks. They deemed it a manufacturer's defect. I finally got to use it last weekend and it is an awesome rod.
I like the Fenwick elite tech walleye rod very light and is the only rod that is actually built with the guides installed on the spline. Yes you can tell

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I have had similar problems with a couple scheels rods one ice and one long rod. Sometimes in Fargo I think it depends on which "expert"/village idiot I get. Bunch of pretty city boys that probably have large frame white sunglasses and affliction shirts thinking a shirt that says scheels on it makes them an expert.

- - - Updated - - -

I miss sportsman's warehouse. Always had good luck with at least having decent conversation or get good advice

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wade at DT puts an entire army of "experts" to shame when it comes to customer service. But that's no secret. He gets 100% of my hardware fishing business, and probably 80-90% of my fly fishing dollars

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's why I am going to learn to build my own rods no more hassle ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the Fenwick elite tech walleye rod very light and is the only rod that is actually built with the guides installed on the spline. Yes you can tell

I also like the "hidden" handle. Very comfortable to hold.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Fenwick Aetos. Broke on a hookset my first time out with it. Now I need to find a box big enough to ship that stupid damn thing back to fenwick in. For this reason, I've moved on to St. Croix rods, I heard they have a great warranty program. I like some of Scheels NOS or ONE rods, but they cost just as much as the St. Croix's...but I suppose if they replace them for free....

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish there was a Dakota Tackle in the FM area. Tell them to open another store here so I have something other than Big-Box to spend my money at.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing last weekend, my wife set the hook (tried too) and the scheels outfitter reel snapped in two pieces and its less than a year old. It wasn't a cheapo either. I took it in still spooled up with nano, and asked them to exchange it. The guy takes it in the back for about 10 minutes and comes out with my line on a different spool/reel and hands it to me. That damn thing was so dirty/grungy/full of sand/beat to shit. I said no, i'm not accepting this. What did you do piece it together? He tells me that yeah we try and do that when stuff breaks. I said i won't accept it, I want a replacement. He said there was nothing comparable anymore. So i went over to the rack and pointed at the exact same price point combo I had purchased a year prior and said isn't this it? He said yeah i guess, but they changed it because they kept breaking like yours on 99% of them. I said awesome. So you tried to stick me with someone elses junk from the backroom with the same shitty design and not tell me when you could have just replaced it up front? Thanks I see how you operate. He then reluctantly and grumpily grabbed a new reel and set me up.

I must admit, scheels has always been good to me when it comes to customer service. This is the second bad experience. Minot store lost a nikon tripod I sent in for repair and replaced it with a newer more expensive aftermarket when they finally admitted they lost it somewhere or it was never sent in after a month of me bugging them about it. Now with the rod deal....just goes to show you really have to stand up for yourself as a customer or they will pull the wool over your eyes. This reel deal pissed me off. Now i'll know what to expect when the other reel i own breaks!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honest question: Has a new president or CEO taken over at Scheels? This almost seems like a policy move if this sort of crap is suddenly at every single store. One or two you could brush off as individuals, but it's like this everywhere.

More reason for Amazon and Prime free shipping.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
The scheels brand or name changes are one thing I think they are using as an excuse now. Oh we don't have that tag on our rods (even though its the same price point) or oh they are a different color, oops we changed the packaging. been told you have to have a receipt now even though 3-4 years ago they said you didn't, had an "expert" tell me once that he saves all his big purchase receipts for everything, my response was "really even for a $30-50 fishing rod" (I don't think $50 long rod is quite big purchase at that time) his response "yep and I don't warranty just because your not organized because I don't know where you bought the rod from". Genius apparently couldn't read because it says SCHEELS outfitter, luckily when I went to a manager it took 2 minutes to get my new rod after wasting 10minutes arguing.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
The scheels brand or name changes are one thing I think they are using as an excuse now. Oh we don't have that tag on our rods (even though its the same price point) or oh they are a different color, oops we changed the packaging. been told you have to have a receipt now even though 3-4 years ago they said you didn't, had an "expert" tell me once that he saves all his big purchase receipts for everything, my response was "really even for a $30-50 fishing rod" (I don't think $50 long rod is quite big purchase at that time) his response "yep and I don't warranty just because your not organized because I don't know where you bought the rod from". Genius apparently couldn't read because it says SCHEELS outfitter, luckily when I went to a manager it took 2 minutes to get my new rod after wasting 10minutes arguing.

Don't kid yourself: the poor schmucks back in the fishing department are told EXACTLY what to say to customers. It's the first line of defense. Enough people just think, oh, darn, and move on. If a customer pushes, management sweeps in to take care of the situation -- but ONLY if it's pushed.

This is policy, folks. Don't even try to rationalize it any other way. Trickle-down effect in full force.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67