Cork Handle ???

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older G Loomis spinning rod. It is kind of my go-to rod. Anyway the cork part of the handle that is ahead of the real is very dry and with some cracks. Is there anything I can rub on the cork to help soften/preserve it??? Or does anyone rebuild/replace it???

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what I know to do: Secure the blank in the desired position through a crack with superglue gel. Make a slurry of wine cork dust and superglue then use toothpicks, etc to fill the voids. Not guaranteeing appearance. I repaired my AllStar's loose handle with a small bore hole and a large shot of glue. I received this advice about ten years ago on the 'net from an AllStar repairman. The slurry was recommended to camo the hole. I didn't bother and it's still going strong.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
027426216006md.jpg
Sand paper and

corkseal.jpg

Or

MU130105-Large.jpg

YW

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually put shrink-wrap on wore cork. I sometimes fill cracks with a wood glue and cork dust slurry. I have also rebuilt a few rods. For that, strip off handles, reuse the blank, but also spine the rod. It's tough to reuse an old cork handle.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could see this as a fine reason Kick. Also, for anyone, when y'all speak of wood glue are you talking Elmer's? Is that stuff waterproof? The Superglue gel slurry isn't bad to work with but could see the Elmer's easier.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would also try filler and U-40 cork sealer as first option. If that does not work, it is actually not that hard to re-build / replace a cork handle. If you like the feel of the original handle, be sure to take some measurements before attempting to remove. Attached are a couple of pics of both cork and wood handles. Good luck!100_3942.jpg100_4053.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does one remove a reel seat? Heatgun?...

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rod I had built has badlands cedar on it. Weight is very minimal I haven't used it in the rain but has a good grip under normal conditions. Sensitivity is way better compared to cork.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a clue I paid to have mine made. Actually it's the wife's rod anniversary gift but I use it more than her.

You pretty much destroy the handle and reel seat during this process. Pliers, knife, and heat gun. Need to be careful.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you Gillgetter with the best ever avatar?

- - - Updated - - -

I still am not clear between Superglue gel and wood glue cork slurry.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate the admission of reel seat destruction.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you call Loomis and ask what they'd recommend? They would possibly replace the handle for you and from my experience with them, their customer service is pretty good. If you have to pay more than 20 bucks and the process of doing it yourself takes some time, I'd probably just have them send a brand new replacement rod for about 100 bucks depending on which model you're talking. Could have a new one in a day or two.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd probably just wrap some black hockey tape over that spot for the "ol' trusty" look.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77