new 22-250 round

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
right now im shooting a 55 gr spire point from hornady the one that comes in the big 50 round box, mostly shoot them because they are a good deal but they dont hold groups as tight as i would like and they are kinda hard on the fur, and now that i have been doing my own skinning and what not i would be nice to not have giant holes through the fur, anyone have a round they have been shooting that works well and doesnt cost an arm and a leg? im shooting this out of the HOWA 1500 and looking to kill coyotes out to 400-500 yards if i can shoot well enough at that range!

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
776488.jpgthis is what I shoot for the 22-250 and have had good luck with it out to about 200, haven't shot out much further than that. A lot of times this ammo doesn't even exit and it usually drops them in there tracks. Groups very well out of the rifle I launch them from

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start reloading, the opportunities are endless. I've shot hundreds and hundreds with 55gr VMAX and 75gr AMAX, they're both a little rough on fur. A buddy of mine got me into these Cutting Edge Raptors 60gr. and they are way better on the fur and liberal friendly (all copper)

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just dont really have the time for reloading nor any of the equipment and dont really have a passion for the reloading side of things so i would be looking for a factory load

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im shooting 75 grain amax's with a 24 inch barrel with a load of 38 grains of imr 4350. The MV is pushing 3400 FPS. The gun is a long range monster with that load.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats the twist you got on that Howa? That could limit your options on the heavier bullets.

I can vouch for the 45 grain Winchesters that dukgnfsn posted. They'll kill yotes nice and dead. Usually just a smallish entrance hole and no exit, and they always grouped well for me. They are also amazing on prairie dogs -- lots of cartwheeling and flying parts. I shot those exclusively out of my Savage before I started hand loading. I still buy them to shoot at prairie dogs as they're cheaper than my hand loads.

- - - Updated - - -

Im shooting 75 grain amax's with a 24 inch barrel with a load of 38 grains of imr 4350. The MV is pushing 3400 FPS. The gun is a long range monster with that load.

That sounds awesome. I wish my Savage had the twist to shoot a 75.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot a howa 22-250 with the 45 grain winchesters. Most of the time small holes. I did have a couple last year that were inside 100 yards when I shot and it looked like a softball went threw them.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The winchester soft point 55 grains are good on fur and pack a hell of a wallop.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

- - - Updated - - -

th

- - - Updated - - -

Extremely accurate factory load...

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's hard to say 22-250 and fur friendly in the same sentence without hand loading. Even then you will get some nasty exits. The Winchester's suggested work pretty good though. Best get good at sewing, because there is no magic bullet for fur.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can say with my above in 7 Rem; I get caliber entrance and "quarter" exit from 35 to 375ish. At the ranges he asked about I was thinking the reduced weight and accuracy would be a benefit. I'm still not totally convinced a pulled M855 bullet would be a POS for coyote. If I home rolled and had a bolt 23/56 my first experiment would be pulling bullets and punching primers out of LC brass: IF stock surplus shot like shi'ite. Gun MIGHT like the stuff.

Skeeter85

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had my best luck with 52 grain hpbt from Sierra. As long as you don't hit a rib on the way in the damage to the fur is minimal

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start reloading, the opportunities are endless. I've shot hundreds and hundreds with 55gr VMAX and 75gr AMAX, they're both a little rough on fur. A buddy of mine got me into these Cutting Edge Raptors 60gr. and they are way better on the fur and liberal friendly (all copper)

Would that friend be James O'Neil or Chad Dixon? Those seem to be the real deal.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75