Scheels Rain Gear

rippenlips

Founding Member
Founding Member
This last weekend I was one of the lucky guys who got to sit out the storm on the lakeThumbs Up. However, I was wearing my Scheels rain gear and was completely soaked by the time the storm passed over. Yes, I had it all the way zipped up and was hunkered down pretty good in my opinion, so I was expecting to stay dry. Afterwards, at the weigh in I was talking with a few guys who were saying that they had experienced the same thing in past years and made the switch to another type of gear.

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Scheels Rain gear and what rain gear would you suggest to replace it? I am currently looking at the Bass Pro 100MPH gear but wanted to see what other options may be out there to keep a guy dry during a good rainy day or even a quick torrential down pour.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had good luck with the Scheels stuff, both parka and bibs. One of the patches of Velcro on the storm flap came loose though. Bad stitching. But I fixed it up and it's all good.

For what it's worth though, I've never heard one bad thing about anything made by Simms, exceptin' the price.

Huffranger has a Simms suit. Ask his opinion on it. He works in AK, so likely puts it through the ringer at times.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This last weekend I was one of the lucky guys who got to sit out the storm on the lakeThumbs Up. However, I was wearing my Scheels rain gear and was completely soaked by the time the storm passed over. Yes, I had it all the way zipped up and was hunkered down pretty good in my opinion, so I was expecting to stay dry. Afterwards, at the weigh in I was talking with a few guys who were saying that they had experienced the same thing in past years and made the switch to another type of gear.

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Scheels Rain gear and what rain gear would you suggest to replace it? I am currently looking at the Bass Pro 100MPH gear but wanted to see what other options may be out there to keep a guy dry during a good rainy day or even a quick torrential down pour.

. goretex will NEVER compete with true rain gear by the way (think Deadliest Cacth) - it's more of a temporary rain system IMO - after an hour or two of continuous it starts to fail

you have to take good care of goretex gear - half of its capacity is in the water-beading coating on the fabric that covers the goretex membrane

do this type of thing before you give up on it - my Arc'Teryx is 10 years old and still works great because I maintain it

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-dwr.html

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/apparel/rain-gear/the-fix-revive-your-rain-jacket/

- - - Updated - - -

I've had great luck with this stuff - follow the directions to the T

51dWhsM6NcL._SX522_.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

be darn careful to cover the floor with an old sheet in the area where you are spraying it on - deadly slippery floors if you don't!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
maybe even double-treat old goretex gear that's been washed a lot with no regard to preserving their magic smoke

I rarely wash my goretex (maybe twice year - before wet and before ice) and when I do I follow the directions - galwhofishes is not allowed to come near it (she is a fabric softener junky)

- - - Updated - - -

fabric softener and many detergents contain wetting agents that are the death of beading properties

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy, where do you get the spray stuff?

To the OP, the scheels stuff reminded me of clothing that you would have to send in the UPC codes from cereal boxes plus 3.95 S&H. And they aren't afraid to charge for it. I ended up with some Gander Mountain bibs that Wags found on sale. I paired it with a lesser expensive jacket from cabelas. Fourth of July weekend, I ran from Nishu to red butte in ~30 mph winds from the south. I was drier than a popcorn fart.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy, where do you get the spray stuff?

To the OP, the scheels stuff reminded me of clothing that you would have to send in the UPC codes from cereal boxes plus 3.95 S&H. And they aren't afraid to charge for it. I ended up with some Gander Mountain bibs that Wags found on sale. I paired it with a lesser expensive jacket from cabelas. Fourth of July weekend, I ran from Nishu to red butte in ~30 mph winds from the south. I was drier than a popcorn fart.

I bought all 4 bottles a local snowmobile shop had two winters ago (ice fishing treatment - when my knees started soaking through). Very popular stuff with snowmobilers apparently.

Amazon Prime looks good. The crap is expensive BTW... but it seems trivial compared to buying new gear or putting up with sheeting. It sure makes you smile when you see those tight beads of water forming and you shake your arm and they fall off like mercury.

The chemicals in this stuff are probably bad for you - so don't be breathing this crap in whilst spraying - ventilate the area or do it in garage or whatever then get out for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

prior to revivex I can't recall what brand I was using but it worked good too

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive been very happy with the nikwax products for performance type clothing (sikta, kuiu etc.) I use the tech wash and only have to spray down coat and pants maybe once a year.

41LfXwYmnxL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

im guessing they make a spray or wash for goretex type clothing as well.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
bass pro 100mph or simms are very good

Helly Hanson impertech is also very good

Grundens will also keep you dry.

I own the simms and helly hanson impertech. I hunt in the impertech and fish in the simms

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been rained on pretty good 4 times this year with the Simms Contender gear. Dry and happy so far.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I also use the Revivex product Guy is talking about. Give it a good spray down and toss it in the dryer.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I've been using a Frog Toggs pilot guide jacket and bibs...fished for about 5 hours in the rain on devils on Saturday and was dry the entire time....and it's not near what simms stuff costs, although simms is legit gear

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with revolutionz on this one. I started using the new Frogg Toggs Pilot guide stuff this year and it is very good. I was also fishing the governors cup last weekend and I stayed completely dry on Saturday. My partner was wearing Simms and yes it is very good gear but he also realized that my gear is very comparable at a lesser cost. This was the second time this season I've fished in continuous rain and stayed dry so I'm sold! My vote is for the Frogg Toggs Pilot Guide stuff!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some Harley Davidson ridding rain gear, super expensive, and made to withstand the rain, and obvious force of riding in 60+mph road conditions.
Might look funny in the boat, but is definitely the driest stuff I have ever used or owned

I have also used a hefty garbage bag, by just cutting a hole in the bottom and wearing it like a poncho, $.50 and works as good as almost anything.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my bimini top up on Saturday and a cotton t shirt on and a pair of shorts. In between bites i made some texts and purchased a rod holder on amazon on my non waterproof phone. Lightening made me nervous so i started to motor in but it stopped once it stopped and we stayed out. If it did hit the boat i may have a chance with the top up, not much of a chance but better than w/o. When is this rain going to stop and how high has the lake risen. Anyway i was dry all day Saturday i ducked out in between rain storms and loaded my boat. The only water I got on me was a drip from my cold beer can.

- - - Updated - - -

ps when it rains the true sportsman heads for the cabin :;:cheers

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
No I am full of bs. I was hungover sat left fargo late and just watched it rain all day. It sucked

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
early in the year I use cabelas goretex for years never wet never treated, during the summer use frog toggs never wet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67