Camp Breakfast: Eggs in Purgatory

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
[FONT=&quot][h=1]Camp Breakfast: Eggs in Purgatory[/h]by David Draper [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Camp breakfast usually comes in one of a few, standard forms: a cold, flatpack Danish, sticky instant oatmeal that sinks to the bottom of your stomach or, for ambitious early risers, a big spread of bacon, eggs and biscuits.
All have their place – well, maybe not the stale sweet rolls – but there is a better alternative that comes together quickly and has the kind of flavor that will wake-up even those who stayed up too late playing cards in deer camp the night before.
camping-breakfast.jpg

Eggs in Purgatory, or Uova al Purgatorio in the traditional Italian vernacular, is a spicy stew of tomatoes, peppers and garlic in which a few eggs are floated to give hunters some much-needed protein before a day in the field.
The hellish part comes for a sprinkle or more of hot red-pepper flakes. I suggest adding a small dose during the cooking process, then passing the shaker with the pan so each hunter can dial up the right amount of spice.
hunting-camp-breakfast.jpg

Cooked in a cast-iron skillet over a fire or on the Camp Chef stove, Eggs in Purgatory takes just long enough to simmer the sauce and poach the eggs – 20 minutes or less. More carnivorous appetites can opt for one of several ways to add wild game meat to the dish.
Prosciutto or pancetta would be the more traditional options, although diced ham or crumbled bacon would certainly be right at home in this hellish good breakfast. Served with some good toast or over a pile of crispy hash browns, it gives you ample fuel to power up the mountain.
Ingredients:
1 tbs. olive oil
3-4 small sweet peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart canned tomatoes
1 cup fresh spinach
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1-2 tsp. kosher salt, to taste
Fresh ground black pepper
Grated Parmesan
3-4 medium eggs
Chili flakes, to taste

Directions:
1. In an 8- to 10-inch cast-iron skillet set over a medium burner, sauté the chopped peppers and garlic in olive oil. Add the canned tomatoes, spinach and seasonings.
2. Simmer, stirring, until slightly reduced and thickened, about five minutes. Stir in ¼ cup of grated Parmesan until incorporated.
cast-iron-camp-breakfast.jpg

3. With the back of a spoon, make a small well in the tomato sauce for each egg. Break the eggs individually into a small bowl and tip each into the tomato sauce. Turn the heat to low or move the pan to a cooler side of the fire and cover with a well-fitting lid.
4. Let the eggs cook for 15 minutes, or until the whites are just set. Take care that the yolks don’t overcook. Sprinkle on additional Parmesan and chili flakes to taste. Serve with toasted rustic bread or with a side of crispy hashbrowns.

[/FONT]

Read more: http://www.petersenshunting.com/recipes/camp-breakfast-eggs-in-purgatory/#ixzz4FF2VbFbI

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
NOT on any fly in or spike camp for this guy. I'd get nothing done but search for a horizontal log and the TP.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't even know if I would want to eat that with a shitter 10 feet away. That looks like it has the makings to burn on the way out.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks awesome, will definitely try that, looks super healthy as well. Will show the wife this one she will even want to give this one a try.
Thanks for sharing.Thumbs Up

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks good thow in some ground Italian sausage and crumbled bacon. If/when I try to make this there is no way I won't pop at least a couple of the yolks in the eggs.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have sharted even once in the last 54 yrs, you might want to consider other options

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have read through the ingredients and see nothing that should give you the sharts, if it does you guys need to get your guts in check and quit the breads and grains, you have some health issues going on you need to address.:;:stirthepot

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you guys can handle mass quantities of blue yummies, this stuff should be child's play.

I'd put some on top of some grits or polenta....

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks good to me, should be fairly safe. On a few of the fishing trips to Canada one guy made what he called seagull suprise. Think it consisted of basically potatoes onions and eggs in the same pan with leftover beans and cheesy cabbage with onions and walleye on the side for breakfast.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks good to me, should be fairly safe. On a few of the fishing trips to Canada one guy made what he called seagull suprise. Think it consisted of basically potatoes onions and eggs in the same pan with leftover beans and cheesy cabbage with onions and walleye on the side for breakfast.

Good Lord...and how was the shore fishing after that,cause I know you didn't eat that and have the intestinal fortitude to climb in a boat;:;popcorn

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to try this without the habernero. Cayenne will be more than fine thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why they weren't peeled before jarring...maybe the marinade helps with peeling?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66