Olympics

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really wish it wasn't bought up by a network and its affiliates. I'll watch almost any of it if it's on at pretty much anytime of the day. At least the time zone is US compatible so we will have more opportunity for live coverage. The premier events in the summer are a little better than the winter ones(figure skating), but not much(gymnastics). I'd like to see as many options for choices as possible. The sprints are cool. Shooting is cool too just don't get to see it much. Baseball and softball should have stayed, the team competition between countries is always fun, kinda like hockey in the winter games. Tennis is stupid, it's the same thing they do all year. Swimming is more exciting than I would normally think it would be especially when freaks like Phelps are in it. Boxing is awesome because it's competitive. I still think boxing could be a household name again in the US if they could find a way to bring the competition back. Beach volleyball is neat, and so are the chicks. Anyway good entertainment on the way, anyone else more than curious about what the terrorists have in store? Rio is not know as being the most organized areas on the planet.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like several sports, several of which rarely get televised. TV is sometimes terrible coverage. Remember one year the entire Marathon was covered. One of the most non-competitive races possible until the last few miles. Might have been interesting to watch the beginning couple of minutes, a few short coverages during the race to bring up to date the position of the favorites and then the last couple of miles. Other than that nothing changes during the majority of the race.

If you live close enough to Canada to pick up a Canadian TV channel you will see more of the non-traditional sports covered.Also interesting listening to a different countries opinion of the games. In every sport there is always an interesting story of an athlete or team. Remember "Eddie, the Eagle.?" Nowhere close to having a chance of winning a gold medal but he became a folk-hero because of his fan appeal.

Many years ago, when Olympic athletes were required to be true amateurs, I think there was more appeal but money eventually took over and the games changed. That and some athlete who was making millions professionally decided his feelings were being hurt and wasn't being treated fairly because he never had a chance to win a gold medal. Still enjoy the Olympic games and like how the athletes seem to come together as one for the most part.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing worse than nbc's Olympic coverage. Comcast owns a dozen networks, yet you rarely see live events outside of the team sports. Then you have 50 minutes of human interest stories and bob costas soap box rants, for every ten minutes of competition coverage. Also getting tired of this showcasing the slightly developing third world, someone is going to get killed that didn't deserve it, and the ioc will have blood on their hands, as a result of the sjw and pc thug crowd running amuck. When a 'success' is the lack of a mass killing, it is probably worth rethinking where these events are being held.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing worse than nbc's Olympic coverage. Comcast owns a dozen networks, yet you rarely see live events outside of the team sports. Then you have 50 minutes of human interest stories and bob costas soap box rants, for every ten minutes of competition coverage. Also getting tired of this showcasing the slightly developing third world, someone is going to get killed that didn't deserve it, and the ioc will have blood on their hands, as a result of the sjw and pc thug crowd running amuck. When a 'success' is the lack of a mass killing, it is probably worth rethinking where these events are being held.

Oh I forgot about (swear words)Bob, now I'm thinking about avoiding prime time like the plague in fear of hearing more stool falling out of that _______ guys mouth.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with others who don't like certain commentators. I also get tired of soap-box rants. Nonetheless I do have the ability to tune those people out and concentrate on the athletes and the games. I often wondered how some commentators became such experts considering I'm pretty sure most of them have never been in competition anywhere near that level. Most interviews are fun to listen to as long as there is no editorializing.

As mentioned earlier that is the thing about Canadian coverage, realizing that most of you don't have that option but it is certainly a different and refreshing viewpoint. Have to live closer to the border and even then it isn't always available. Most Canadian commentators spend time on the event and less on themselves. Egos don't appear as large.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bob Costas needs an unavoidable invite to the parking lot.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Let's be honest. Whom among us didn't feel a sense of "good for you" during the last Olympics when Costas came down with the eye infection. Didn't it feel kind of good watching him on TV looking like he'd spent a few rounds with Ali or got a little too involved with the local spirits and ended up with a week long hangover. Don't lie, you all chuckled at his predicament.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's be honest. Whom among us didn't feel a sense of "good for you" during the last Olympics when Costas came down with the eye infection. Didn't it feel kind of good watching him on TV looking like he'd spent a few rounds with Ali or got a little too involved with the local spirits and ended up with a week long hangover. Don't lie, you all chuckled at his predicament.

I know I did.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i too do not care for mr soap box himself bob costas, but ill admit im an Olympic junkie. Track and field is by far my favorite. I do confess to DVR'ing the Olympic trials and watching them nightly

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Track and field. Discus has always been my fav followed by shot put. Athletes throwing unbelievable distances. Even the women's disc event is incredible.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]Olympics | Commentary: IOC bows to Putin and Russian dopers[/h]
By Tim Dahlberg

Once again, the people who run the Olympics just can't say no to Vladimir Putin. Not when he spends more than $50 billion to host a winter Olympics to show off a resurgent Russia. Not when he talks darkly about returning to the days of Olympic boycotts in 1980 and '84.

Certainly not when he suggests that doping officials of one powerful country -- can you guess which one? -- are behind efforts to ban Russia from the Rio Olympics.

When Putin talks, Olympic officials listen. And that's the biggest reason why Russian athletes -- at least some of them -- will march in opening ceremonies less than two weeks from now in Brazil.

With Russian prestige on the line, the executive board of the International Olympic Committee caved in. Instead of banning Russia from Rio for running a state-sanctioned doping operation, the IOC members decided instead Sunday to allow individual sports federations to decide which Russians can compete.

Spineless, yes, but that's to be expected. No reason to let a little doping scandal get in the way of a cozy relationship that serves both sides so well.

It was just a little more than two years ago that Putin was the face of a winter Olympics that he saw as far more than just a sporting event. He cheered Russian athletes in arenas and in the mountains and celebrated with them as they added to the host country's medal haul.

Meanwhile, his agents were working late into the night at the Sochi doping lab, exchanging urine samples taken from the country's athletes for clean ones in an elaborate scheme to escape detection.

It paid off with 33 medals for Russia, 11 of them gold. The country led the medal standings, and Russian pride surged with every big win.

That much of it was a scam wouldn't be uncovered until many months later. When it was, it was clear the scope of the cheating effort was so great that it couldn't have been pulled off without cooperation and approval from the highest levels of the Russian government.

Yet Russian athletes will still compete in Rio. The official explanation for just why came from IOC President Thomas Bach, who said it would be unfair to ban all Russians when it has not been proved that all of them cheat.

"At the end of the day we have to be able to look in the eye of the individual athletes concerned by this decision," Bach said.

The unofficial explanation was more telling.

"The IOC decision was to be expected. You can't behave improperly toward a power like Russia," said Gennady Alyoshin, a Russian Olympic Committee official, in comments to the Tass news agency.

Apparently you can't, because the IOC -- for all of its bluster about operating drug-free Olympics -- seems more worried about offending Russia than protecting clean athletes. The inexplicable decision to allow Russians to compete in Rio is a slap in the face to both clean athletes and those around the world who work hard to try and ensure the playing field is level.

As an added insult, the IOC did Russia's bidding by refusing to allow Yulia Stepanova's entry into the games as a neutral competitor, a decision a top U.S. Anti-Doping Agency official called "incomprehensible." Stepanova is a runner who left Russia fearing for her safety after blowing the whistle on Russian doping and is considered a traitor by some in her home country.

It's enough to make even the true believers wonder. Just what are these Olympic ideals we hear so much about anyway?

Surely there are some Russian athletes who don't cheat and would be banned unfairly from the games. Hard to figure out who they are, though, with doping so widespread that Russian labs covered up more than 600 positive drug tests in 29 Olympic sports from 2011 until last August.

So now you have swimmers who will have to wonder in Rio how they can beat a Russian in the next lane. You have boxers who worry about getting hit in the face by a Russian opponent who just might be on the latest doping cocktail.

And you have incompetent Olympic leaders who talk grandly about cleaning up the games, then bow to Putin when given a chance to make the biggest statement ever about the evils of doping in sports.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 3 friends going to the games. I can't remember all of the events they are going to, but i believe badminton is one of them... This Olympics is going to make Sochi look like a fairy tale with all of the issues they are having (crime, pollution, police force etc).

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
The throwing events have been a favorite for me as well.

Didn't they get rid of wrestling the last olympic games, due to lack of interest? I'm glad it's back

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
maxresdefault3.jpg
womens volleyball is my favorite

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I couldn't care less about the Olympics. Seem like a huge waste of money and time. What is really sad is whats happening in Rio in preparation for these pointless games. Watch below.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76