Triple Dipped, Beer Battered "Fried' Chicken, off the grill?

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Saw a post of triple dipped, beer battered "fried' chicken off the grill using a Vortex and a Weber kettle and knew we had to try the recipe following it to a "T" on a kamado grill smoking with a chunk of apple wood and chicken thighs.

-----

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
-----

Well I'll be danged... it was unbelievably crispy as any fried chicken we've ever had!

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

Thanks for looking![/FONT]

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's nuts. You only turn it once I ASSume?

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's nuts. You only turn it once I ASSume?

Yes, flipped once! There is no trick in the batter or anything, the "fried" texture is accomplished from the intense indirect heat from the Vortex that simulates frying on the batter and chicken skin. What is great is there is no oil/deep frying which is much healthier!

[FONT=&quot]Seasoned with Owens BBQ Buffalo Wing seasoning, then followed the following recipe for the rest. But instead of fried I did them on the BGE around a full vortex of lump running 450º with a chunk of apple wood till an internal temp of at least 175º in the thighs. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/89268/triple-dipped-fried-chicken[/FONT]

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You think this could be accomplished with Kingsford and Home Depot equipment?

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
You think this could be accomplished with Kingsford and Home Depot equipment?

I think almost any kettle or kamado style grill will work, for off brands that we are not familiar with we would need to know dimensions of charcoal and cooking grates and the distance between the two grates to help pick out the right size Vortex for the grill. There are 4 standard sizes of Vortex's and if needed we can have the manufacture make special sizes but that happens very rarely.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mossy I have the Vortex for my BGE and love it when you Post stuff for me to try next. all of your post are awesome thank you very much for posting

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80