Arrow Hypothetical

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What broadhead is best for a FAST kill if one were forced to take a shot in the yard. I surmise a mechanical or broadhead the diameter of a ping pong ball. Is this a possibility without severing the spine? Trying to liven things up as things are dead on here today as folks are actually doing stuff outside. Please discuss and argue. NOTE: This question is not about durability or accuracy. I'm pondering a quick, legal kill without offending neighbors. DRT.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I believe there's a case to be made of sights on one side and arrow on the other.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's really not how an arrow kill works. Game dies from blood loss, not shock and hemmorage like a rifle shot. Blood loss takes a little time. I've seen deer get hit in the spine with an arrow. It's not pretty...or quiet. In fact, it's a little traumatic. If you could brain them, I guess that may be as quick as a rifle shot.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's uncool. Deer in the yard are not pets and should not be obstacles for vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a shame to explain life to retards with nice yards.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I witnessed one head shot on a doe sitting in a blind with a buddy. I nearly shit myself (for the third time as an adult) as I was not expecting such a thing. It was dtr and hard. We lol'd and then ate tenderloin. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to take such a shot, atleast I wouldn't

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you going to shoot? I whack rabbits in my garden with judo points and it wipes them out pretty quick.

- - - Updated - - -

I witnessed one head shot on a doe sitting in a blind with a buddy. I nearly shit myself (for the third time as an adult) as I was not expecting such a thing. It was dtr and hard. We lol'd and then ate tenderloin. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to take such a shot, atleast I wouldn't

I found a buck skull in my yard last spring with a muzzy lodged into the back of the skull, it was shot through the eye socket and it still made it to my refuge. Never heard of anyone losing a deer or even know of anyone bowhunting in the surrounding area. My yard is surrounded by a few sections in each direction that we own so it either ran a long way with one in the dome or some ass hat did a drive by.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Urban WT in a slightly sedate neighborhood just between urban and rural. Don't want to go illegal and don't want to trespass and converse. Not a good bowshot at all...

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you going to shoot? I whack rabbits in my garden with judo points and it wipes them out pretty quick.

- - - Updated - - -

I found a buck skull in my yard last spring with a muzzy lodged into the back of the skull, it was shot through the eye socket and it still made it to my refuge. Never heard of anyone losing a deer or even know of anyone bowhunting in the surrounding area. My yard is surrounded by a few sections in each direction that we own so it either ran a long way with one in the dome or some ass hat did a drive by.

Side subject but had a buddy find a 280" elk shed with a G5 Montec stuck squarely in it. That guy what concentrating on the wrong "spot" when he squeezed the release. Amazing you found that buck skull like that!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is another example why I believe bow season should be combined with 4in to 6in bbl handgun season.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fastest kill I have had without a spine shot was the Anderson Magnums they had back in the early 1980's. They die of hemorrhage alright, but they hemorrhage faster with a big hole. I think the Anderson was a three blade with 2.5 inch cutting diameter. They were very poor in the accuracy department, but my gosh what a hole.

I did shoot one in the head with an 84 lb York compound. I had as much arrow out the backside as the feather side. Went down like a sack of rocks. That was when I shot a lot back in the early 1980's and at 20 yards there was little chance of missing. Still thinking about it I have never tried it again. I do sock my Glendale buck in the eye at 20 yards once in a while just for giggles.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Side subject but had a buddy find a 280" elk shed with a G5 Montec stuck squarely in it. That guy what concentrating on the wrong "spot" when he squeezed the release. Amazing you found that buck skull like that!

Yeah we usually find 2 or 3 buck carcasses/skulls in our yard every spring when we walk it for sheds, we only walk it once a year in April, the most we've found in one year was 4. I called to get salvage tags and was told no unless I could prove how they died and was told to leave them or throw them on a rockpile.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand "socking your Glendale buck"; do you mean an urban situation?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the broadhead that has a .357 mag load in it. Shoot it in the head. DRT! Or check out the DRT broadhead.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A solid fixed 3 blade to the top of the heart where all the vessels come out is the fastest knock out punch I know of without using gunpowder. Get the deer in close and be patient to wait for that perfect quartering away shot at 15-20 yrds. Usually crash within 30-50 yards regardless of the body size, age, or sex of the deer.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would also like to retract 6in bbl. 4in maximum or period. Min cal 9mm.

IMHO this could stop a lot of rifle season garbage with multiple tag awards/conquests and provide the state easier enforcement against jackasses. My concept may take a while to accept but could prove correct.

I like cheese.

Anyways, I will NOT to go illegal with a can or .22. I will endeavor to distribute more of my urine. It's scary.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
A headshot or spine is the only way you're dropping a deer right there with a bow. IMO neither are 'ethical' shots to take on purpose regardless of skill / practice.

Have you considered a big live trap -- like they use on feral pigs? Then you can sling arrows at it all day and it won't run off to the neighbors to die.
-- Pretty sure that's not legal either...

I don't think there's a legal and ethical way of killing a deer with a bow without the chance of them running a bit.

I do feel your pain though. I'm in a similar situation. Stupid antlered bastards are really hard on my young trees. The thought of using my suppressed 300blk with a subsonic 220gr 'Hammer of Thor' has occurred to me...

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could've filled tags with .22lr under the security light without much muss or fuss but would've been denied hunts with the boy. Almost sent out the word to folks in my unit to PM for an "adventure". Eventually just had to stop feeding upland. Made for boring morning coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't want blamed for a new deer crossing sign.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is nothing like shooting a deer and it goes to die in somebodys backyard blood everywhere, mom and the kids watching. yea not good.;:;badidea

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69