Youth hunting help

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother and I have boys that will be going out youth hunting for the first time. When they get older I'm sure they will hunt the same unit we have every year since I was their age. So we thought it would be nice to take them someplace different in the state for their first hunt. Do any of you have any suggestions where to hunt in the state where there is some shooting opportunities and hunter friendly landowners? Not after any trophies just shooting opportunities and a memorable trip (or trips).

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
an area to consider is the BLM land around the Heart Butte Reservoir area and there is a ton of plots land in that area. The area holds a lot of deer and is a nice place to hunt. For public land it does have a lot of areas to hunt and usually not real pressured. I enjoyed hunting it when extra doe tags used to be available.
dukgnfsn

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always thought the state land by Fort Ransom would also be a real fun place to hunt ...

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs Up and don't even get me started on the pheasants

you have to get east of hamilton to really get into the pheasants the last couple years. Pembina is good but alot of hunting pressure there.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
The badlands would be fun to hunt. Is there a good population of whitetails out there? It seems every time I see deer in the badlands they are mule deer. Of course it's been awhile since I've been in the badlands.

After reading the GNF hunting guide, I believe a person could hunt mule deer doe in any unit except 4A, 4B, and 4C. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85