Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've floated this before without positive or negative response. Would there be support to allow taking deer with an open sighted handgun? My proposal would not allow scopes or E-sights, 4in bbl only and a maximum capacity of 6 rds. Pistols would require "plugged" mags to allow a max capacity of 5. I would also permit FMJ and suppressors.

Please discuss and/or besmirch.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you mean being allowed to use a handgun to fill an archery tag? If that's the case, I'd say absolutely not.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes sir, that's what I'm saying.

- - - Updated - - -

And IMHO, I've limited handguns to the same capacity as a bow.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer are limping around with arrows from unethical shots also. I have personal experience with downing deer with arrow wounds. I see now we're coming into a gray area with crossbows. IMHO, CB's are easier to master than a handgun. I also see the potential for "spray and pray" and again idiots eff up everything for the rest of us.

My vision for the hunt would be enjoying the same quiet and harvesting with an ethical shot at close range.

Rifle season is a gd circus.

Last edited:

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
You limited the handguns to the same effective range. Not an equal weapon. An arrow with a broadhead costs $10-$30 each and takes probably no less than 5 seconds to load an arrow and shoot. Those handguns have rounds that costs less then a $1 and can shoot all 5 rounds in that same 5 seconds.

There is something different with most people and guns. They don't feel like practice is needed. Yes many bad shots happen with bows, but I think it would be quite a bit higher with handguns.

It it would be a disaster.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the other hand, there's plenty noise from shotguns...

- - - Updated - - -

Allowing carry for protection against cougar, etc has not proved to be a disaster.

Last edited:

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have mentioned this on here once or twice but I would be for a proposal on a 1 tag firearm season with 3-4 seasons. Say an early muzz, rifle, than a late muzz. The main goal here would be to increase deer hunting opportunities by increasing tags and seasons, but lowering the success rate. A muzz season would give the option to people who want less hunting pressure and the need for closer shots.

Early season muzz would be around October 20th and be 6 days long. Historically a difficult time to catch a mature buck on his feet, but close enough to the rut action that it's not impossible especially during those last few days of the season.

Then Decrease the rifle by a weekend, that should help lower success rates.

Then hold a late season muzz similar to what we have currently.

Make people choose to apply for 1 of the 3.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Three shot plugs were implemented by break action hunters scared of repeaters. I would easily support "pistol only" with a single rd in the chamber and "dummy" mag or none. Again, I'd allow FMJ and suppressors.

- - - Updated - - -

How is my POP from a Glock different than the double report of a hunter afield properly appointed with a two trigger 16 not connecting with the first shot? Point being: This time of year tends to contain some random noise.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we're good where we're at. You can take a deer with a pistol as it stands. Your choice. Plus I don't own a smoke pole and I don't want to. My .270 WSM barks and my Hoyt whispers. No need for talkers.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meelosh dont you want a suppressed .45? Hahah in all honesty i want to see someone with a handgun beat a good shot with a bow out to 80.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can understand the aesthetics of technique and desire for solitude: Not all of us can achieve the "Flight Of the Arrow" or land a dry emerger at the proper rhythm of the seam: This is boiling down to tools against lobbyists. Different methods with the same result and I don't leave about any gd garbage on the bank. I'll pop a deer with a rifle and catch a trout on a ball of Velveeta. Would prefer jerkbaits and a pistol slug and have the opportunity to refine.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer are limping around with arrows from unethical shots also. I have personal experience with downing deer with arrow wounds. I see now we're coming into a gray area with crossbows. IMHO, CB's are easier to master than a handgun. I also see the potential for "spray and pray" and again idiots eff up everything for the rest of us. My vision for the hunt would be enjoying the same quiet and harvesting with an ethical shot at close range.

Rifle season is a gd circus.

I would also support a period of "bow only" then evolve to the circus until January.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, definitely! Maybe there could even be a special drawing! Cause your guy's system seems so flawless, how could it go wrong? On a side note I drew my non-res. tag for that covented 4C mule tag

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep. But need to be 16" barrel, single shot, held with one hand, 454 or 50 bmg. Should weed out the stupid ones.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69