semi sleeper to hunting shack

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well im going to attempt to turn a sleeper off of a semi into a hunting shack, has anyone else done this? anyone got any pointers for me? i will keep updating this as i go last night was my first night working on it and start pulling stuff out of the sleeper and tonight will finish that up and starting figuring where doors and windows will go!

13672296_10101906122831655_686535132_n.jpg

13672474_10101906122796725_1641171296_n.jpg

13664598_10101906122836645_1280219266_n.jpg

13664573_10101906122736845_58132200_n.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
PM me with your phone number and I'll go over the shitstorm of issues we had when we tried it. Maybe you can do better.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, if you dont mind I would like to here a few of those issues. Have thought about making one of these to be used as both a deer blind and an ice house. How heavy are these things?

- - - Updated - - -

arrowdem, please post lots of pics. This sleeper looks to be in nice shape. Most of the ones I find that are reasonably priced are pretty beat up. Are you going to have it on a stand or sitting on the ground?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a buddy who made an ice house out of one. I will try and get pics from him.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
OH BOY!! Here we go and thanks for scratching open an old wound and pouring lemon juice in the sore. LOL!!!

Disclaimer: I'm NOT an engineer, metallurgist, construction foreman, or handyman. I'm just a person who wanted a heated blind.

First, consider the opening into the cab "SATANS BUTTHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Do NOT consider that a shooting portal, window aperture, or other hunting access. We tried to make that the entrance and main shooting portal by putting heavy duty hinges on one side and having the whole thing open. NOT a good plan. It worked for about 3 months and then the weight of the door itself warped the wood so the seal failed and the wind howled through that thing. Furthermore, the Plexiglas window we put in cracked when the door warped letting water in which rusted the piano hinge we used to open it. Snow and frost melted on the door and windows, ran down onto the floor, and made a better than average hockey rink for everyone to slip on, fall, and bust your butt, gun, bow, and your pride. Basically, the thing was beautiful when we finished it, but it went to shit once mother nature got a hold of it. Lesson Learned!! PLUG THAT HOLE with solid filler so it won't move, budge, or wiggle. If I were to do it again, I would plug that big opening with green treated plywood, seal the outsides with silicone and tar so nothing would get through there. Then I would apply an additional coat of water sealant to the outside and cut and frame the smallest opening I could get away with in that plywood and make that the BACK of the blind where you enter. I would then determine the size windows I wanted in the other 3 sides and cut suitable openings in the walls, frame them up for the windows, and seal them back up making sure there was over-sized drip molding to keep water from touching any part of the window, framework, or seal. I would cut an access panel in the side where I could keep the heater on the outside of the blind as there is surprisingly little room in those things for one hunter with a chair, backpack, and bow let alone two. Additionally, that "glow" from the heater would be eliminated or at least much reduced. My gut feeling is that I would put vertical openings into the sides as the super structure of the cab is about 18 to 24 inches apart if I remember right. Cutting one or more of those might make the thing a bit wobbly so to speak. Anyway, our attempt resulted in 4 days of work, one seasons sit, and the wind blowing the damn thing down the hill the next summer. Got 125 bucks for the aluminum at the scrap yard, bought some booze, and had forgotten the whole blasted event UNTIL THIS THREAD!! I'm going to mix myself a Capt. Coke, console my wounded pride, and continue to watch this thread in the hopes someone will do much better than I did. (Grin)

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else think of Ray when they see a sleeper cab and no truck?
image.jpg

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i started pulling into mind and mine is actually all fiberglass kdm the only aluminum i have is some of the support beams but here's to another night of dicking around with a semi sleeper! thanks for the call and the info!

:;:cheers

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
12pr6f.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Some have a small access door on the side which would be ideal. Doesnt look like yours does though. What does it weigh?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a friend who came up with this idea. Old rusted out chev pickup, trans went out motor still run well so he pulled it out to a rock pile, overlooking some good habitat. Tractor and loader to top of said rock pile and leveled off, took off tires so not movable. Deer get used to it like any farm equipment. Two weeks before hunting season puts battery and 5 gal fresh gas in it and there you go. Exaust is funneled down into the rock pile to fan it out some. like road hunting without the road, and a 350 cu in heater. When done hunting lets her run dry and removes battery until next year.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well i got everything out, next project is to figure out window size and how to frame it in, the supports are actually aluminum and so it the whole bottom 3/4 of the shell i thought it was all fiberglass as i started and there is a 1 3/4 inch gap in those supports im hoping that i can put 2x4s in there and use self tapping screws to be able to build off of to frame in the shooting window, i think the window im gonna go with is an insulated basement window that will either swing up or down im not sure yet the dimensions on the window im looking at putting in that back wall are 24x32 and i will need more ply wood for the floor and a big sheet or 2 of 3/4 ply wood for "satans butthole" once that is all in and secured i will be putting in a door and a little view port through there so you can see behind the shack, im not 100% on door placement i may try securing that small door on the top to the actual panel above it and then cutting on that and welding hinges on there and put that door right through the aluminum on the side, that part is yet to be determined, i want to figure out what its like when i put that 3/4inch ply wood over the butt hole wether or not im comfortable putting a door in the ply wood or not. but anyway there is my update, i dont know that i will get back on this project again tonight as i have some honey do's that i have been putting off for too long. wish i woulda gotten a start on this earlier but apparently having a wedding gets in the way of your hunting shit...

13867070_10101907122438435_1753457901_n.jpg

13872459_10101907122493325_1938275534_n.jpg

13884480_10101907122523265_285612220_n.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, that looks familiar. I would consider having the windows swing up instead of down for the simple reason that you can protect the hinges from water better if they are closer to the drip molding. Water really raised havoc with our hinges. Looks good though and I think you will have much better success with your plan than we did with ours. :;:thumbsup

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm excited to see the end result. Is marriage that bad already that you started spending your nights doing projects for the hell of it? Only kidding of course.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, that looks familiar. I would consider having the windows swing up instead of down for the simple reason that you can protect the hinges from water better if they are closer to the drip molding. Water really raised havoc with our hinges. Looks good though and I think you will have much better success with your plan than we did with ours. :;:thumbsup
That's kinda what I was leaning toward I'm going to have it swing in and up was the plan with some hooks of some sort to hold it up close to the ceiling and out of the way as much as possible.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking for a couple items to make moveable stands out of. This seems like it could foot the bill. how much do they weigh? found a pair for 500 a piece. No idea what they actually should cost though.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
we got 3 of them for free from a buddy of my dads he said he coulda sold them for $200 a piece, and let me tell you they are HEAVY! you would never in a million years guess how heavy they are by looking at them... if its gonna be easily movable i would suggest wheels jack and a hitch because putting it on and off a trailer will not be fun, but with wheels and a hitch i would say you would be golden, lots of good heavy structure to secure off on the bottom to put an axle and wheels on.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess when I say easily movable, it wasn't clear what I had pictured in my head. I picture using a pallet forks on the front of my little tractor. So something less than 500lbs? How do you plan to place this guy? In a stand or on the ground?

Where I want to put them are on the edge of a cliff and another on a side hill

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
we got 3 of them for free from a buddy of my dads he said he coulda sold them for $200 a piece, and let me tell you they are HEAVY! you would never in a million years guess how heavy they are by looking at them... if its gonna be easily movable i would suggest wheels jack and a hitch because putting it on and off a trailer will not be fun, but with wheels and a hitch i would say you would be golden, lots of good heavy structure to secure off on the bottom to put an axle and wheels on.

Center main frame from an old harrow works well. Has everything needed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69